Trimming 88 MJ's fenders

Hey guys this is my first post on the site, but I have been reading alot and this is a great site. Well I'm kinda stumped on this one so I figured I would get some good advice from fellow MJ owners. My 88 MJ is sitting on a 3" lift and 31's. Just recently I decided to upgrade my bald BFG A/T with stock wheels to some Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ radials on 15x8 black Pacer wheels. Anyways after installing them and making the old Comanche look just a little meaner, Ive noticed there are rubbing in places they werent rubbing before (bottom edges of fenders) so I have been thinking about either taking off the fenders and just doing some bondo work and paint to fill in the mounting holes or trimming enough off to add some rubber trim around the fenders. Has anyone done this with 31's and if so does it look good or does it look just plain wierd? Also if anyone has some pictures of this done on 31's so I can get an idea where to trim, etc. that would be great. Thanks guys!

You can cut and raise them to the bodyline like this.

Image Not Found

Or you can get wilder like this.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I just started cutting and reshaping the front part of the inner fender. The inner fender curve extends all the way to the core support.

Here is how I would do it and I have seen it done and looks really clean.

If you do take your flares off and cut your fenders out. I would cut them just a little bit longer than you want then take a small crescent wrench and fold them in toward the motor. You are going to have to make a cut at the body lines. Then take a hammer and dolly and smooth out the fold and then this way the fender won’t be weak.

wow you do live close. I live right on the border of Clarksville and Oak Grove. We will have to meet up so you can show me some good trails because I'm having a hard time finding them. Anyways how do I raise the body line, but keep the fender flares because I kinda like the look of that.

wow you do live close. I live right on the border of Clarksville and Oak Grove. We will have to meet up so you can show me some good trails because I'm having a hard time finding them. Anyways how do I raise the body line, but keep the fender flares because I kinda like the look of that.

I haven't really lived here that long and the only place i know of is turkey bay. As for trimming your fenders i would do something along the the lines of what TNT did but not so extreme. Have you thought about front fiberglass, thats what I'm doing when i move back to Socal, I don't know how long they would last out here though.

So TNT, do I need to take off the fenders, cut some of the inner fender, then drill new holes for the fender flares and fill in gaps? I'm kinda confused on how you did this, it looks great so I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow. If you could give me a mini write up on it that would be great. I have all basic tools, but I don't think my dremel could do that, maybe a jigsaw.

So TNT, do I need to take off the fenders, cut some of the inner fender, then drill new holes for the fender flares and fill in gaps? I'm kinda confused on how you did this, it looks great so I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow. If you could give me a mini write up on it that would be great. I have all basic tools, but I don't think my dremel could do that, maybe a jigsaw.

For the front you want to start with uncut flares, if your flares have been cut in the rear portion they may not fit right. First remove the liner, flare, headlight bezel and front bumper. Take a marker or a paint pen and mark a line straight across the front edge of the fender at the bottom of the marker light. Remove the fender brace and cut off the lower part of the fender. You have to be a little creative to cut the part under the headlight. I used a jigsaw to cut the fender just make sure you hold the fender so it doesn't bend. Now mark around the fender opening at the where the mounting surface where the just below the top of where the flare edge, about 1/8" from the edge. of the bend, taper this line off towards the lower rear edge of the fender just behind the front mounting bolt. Leave where the mounting holes for the corners of the flare, one at the middle of the rear opening about half way down. The tabs by the holes will be left on and folded out 90 degrees. Now cut out all the area in between the above described tabs, while supporting the fender. On the rear inner wheel well of the fender there is a seam that needs to be trimmed and folded outward. Cut up toward the seam and taper off your cut so it ends at the end of the double wall. Now fold the double wall seam outwards 90 degrees. Hold up the flare to see where it needs to be trimmed to fit the body tightly. You also need to trim the curve where it wraps around under the fender and heat it some so it fits the body tightly. Position the flare up to the bodyline and mark the mounting holes and drill them. I used a piece of the flare that was cut off to fill the gap caused by raising the flare. Mount it to the inner part of the flare using a push nut and a screw. Now bend the tabs out 90 degrees and put a push nut over the center tab and the fender support. Now paint and seal the fender as needed. I used ¼" bolts, nuts, and washers to mount the flare. I also put large round rubber fender washers in between the flare and the body to keep from distorting the flare. Next comes the inner liner. Cut the rear part of it so it can be screwed to the seam on the inner wheel well that was folded out. Now trim and fold the liner with a heat gun so it fits inside the flare like it did before. Use a bolt in the center support for the fender where you put the push nut. Now secure it to the tabs using some push in christmas trees like the ones that originally held the liner in. Now all that's left is to trim the front portion to match the fender and the rear portion to fit nicely. And then you are done.

I used a jigsaw, dremel, drill and some basic tools.

Ok TNT I think I'm catching on (sorry I'm more of a visual learner than reading) so lets see if I have this straight. I understand where to cut at the lower part of the bezel, right below the side markers straight across. Cut 1/8th" from the top of the flare on the actual fender and bend it up. I leave the original mounting holes for both corners and one hole in middle on the rear side of the fender which are fender tabs comming from the body. On the rear part of the fender cut on the seam and bend it out for support on the fender flare, but taper it off at the bend towards the rear of the top of the fender. Now hold the flare to the fender and mark new mounting holes and drill. Then use 1/4" bolts and larger rubber washers to mold better. If this is right let me know or change any part that is necessary. I borrowed this picture from rocklizardfabrications.com and if you could, can you mark it up where I need to cut and what not so maybe I could understand it better I would greatly appreciate it! 100_0081.jpg