Transmission removal

'91 4.0L 4x2 with ax-15 trans.

Pulled the engine and transmission together from the truck but now can't figure out how to separate the two. It's late and i'm tired which isn't helping any. All the dust shield bolts are removed. The transmission is kind of loose and will spin completely around the crankshaft.

any help appreciated, engine hoist rental is up at 2pm on Saturday and i'm hoping to get it up on the stand by then.

Thanks in advance.

it more than wiggles, it spins completely around.

I'm at that stage of tired where i'm going to need to find a picture and have someone point out exactly where i should be looking. I don't remember pulling out anything that i would describe as upper/side bolts, so right there is one possibility.

sounds like either the input shaft tip is hung up inside the pilot bushing, or the splines are hung up on the clutch disc..if the combo is still on the hoist, lower it until the engine is on the ground, have someone hold it or strap it off so it doesn't move, grab the tranny by the tailcone and rock/shake it while pulling backwards (carefully) until whatever is binding up releases.

sounds like either the input shaft tip is hung up inside the pilot bushing, or the splines are hung up on the clutch disc

This is what i'm hoping it isn't.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. After a couple of hours of sleep i'm coherent enough to form sentences, so i'll try to explain what's going on a little better. Not that it won't mean what's already suggested won't work.

The transmission fluid has been drained and the starter is off. The bolts that attach the bell housing to the engine are all out. At least i'm pretty sure they are; removed 6 or 8 bolts on the housing side, and two on the engine side. There is a little bit of separation between the bell housing and the engine; maybe an inch. It's enough that spacer or dust cover or spacer whatever can be moved back and forth some and i can see inside the bell housing. While up in the air, i can rotate the transmission a full 360 degrees around whatever shaft is holding everything together.

Its also so covered in oil, its possible i missed what would normally be an obvious bolt.

I'm off in a little bit to try what's been suggested already...but i'll probably be back in an hour or two if i can't get them apart.

the inspection cover (thin plate) should slide out. The larger plate is the flywheel, which is bolted to the end of the crankshaft by those 6 bolts. You shouldn't have to take it off to get the engine mounted on the stand, but if you do want to, an impact gun would be your best bet.

i didn't have an impact gun, so i ended up having to use a breaker bar, a tire iron and two bolts. One bolt went into the inspection cover, the other onto a belt housing bolt hole on the engine. Wedged the tire iron between the two to keep the fly wheel from rotating and held onto it with one hand. Cranked off the bolts with the breaker bar.

It might be time to invest in an impact gun.

The engine is up on the stand now. Very very slowly over time i will be disassembling the it to see if it in good enough shape to turn into a stroker.

mjeff87 and Jeepco, thanks again for the suggestions.

I just went through this pulling the BA 10/5 out of my '87 and had the same prob separating them (I knew mine had died. The truck almost launched me into the car in front of me while I still had my foot on the clutch!)

How I removed the BA 10/5 transmission from my 88XJ when it got scrapped:

1. Jack up truck.

2. Remove head, Oil Pan, Front axle.

3. Remove balancer, Timing cover, and Timing gears.

4. Unbolt transmission crossmember and Tranny to Engine bolts.

5. Remove Main Bearing knuckles.

6. Pull back about an inch to clear the Bell guid pins, and it drops right down :D

no worries john, if you were closer i would have probably asked. Those 6 bolts were actually not too bad, but there were a few others that took longer than they should. if you can bring the impact gun with you on saturday, we may need it. I haven't separated the bell housing from the transmission yet; i just ran out of day on saturday.

Let me know about that trailer as soon as you can. Already gave notice to the storage facility that i would be out by the end of the weekend.