Sometimes I do hate Craigslist...

Geonovast

So a friend of mine who just recently got off of house arrest was looking for a small truck, she liked mine and knew I could do work on it so she wanted one. I found one on Craigslist. Rusted up 86, 2.5, 2wd, 4 speed. She went and looked at it, liked it, and they agreed on $400. She gave him half up front.

Since she can't drive, he agreed to deliver it this morning and she'd give him the other half.

He called her, said when he tried to move it, he broke the rear axle. He said he'd drive out and give her her money back. We went and met him, and he said that someone else picked it up for $300, and was on their way to Janesville - driving it. He seemed to push that she could contact the other guy if she still wanted it.

A couple hours later the other guy called her, claiming he'd fixed the truck already and she could have it for $500.

WTF?

It seems the original seller saw a quick sale with guy number 2 and sold it to him... the other buyer bought it, knowing there was all ready another buyer who wanted it... raised the price 200 bucks from his purchase price. Or something could have broke on the rig... more then likely a stuck brake, or u-joint. The seller didnt have the heart to tell your friend that it broke.. other guy fixed it... thinking/knowing he could find another buyer for a 500 buck truck. Small consolation.. she did get her money back, you here so many times about ppl getting ripped off on deals like that.

My advice is.. when ever you have a deal you can't pass up on craig's list or ebay.. jump on it, and pay in full, and get the title. I can't tell you how many titles I have in my name, but I make a point of registering the vehicle the same day I take delivery, that way sellers remorse can't come back and bite you. I know I have had times when selling stuff where mutiple ppl wanted to buy it, and I always would have to tell them bring cash if you want it, some ppl believe me.. others would come by and find said parts sold.

Small time CON ARTIST'S. If they call back; tell em to practise whistling dixie with their butt wind. Find the chickie another MJ OR ....... uh

wait for it.......

xj

Ah Dregs list is always an adventure for me. During the Playstation III and now the Nintendo WII craze there are folks showing up to buy a WII only to be robbed of their cash. PingPong had a good rule of thumb for vehicles, I also never invite someone to my house and only meet in lighted public areas for my transactions.

And the tire kickers stating "your 4.0 has over 100,000 miles" calling it "high mileage" are even more fun to deal with.

assuming she got her $200 back, sounds lucky that she did so i'd say your ahead. i think the other post is on the money, this guy needed a done deal and was willing to give up $100 for the possibility your friend might balk. two simple choices now, if you had negotiated for $500 from the beginning, would she still have bought it? if so, go get it. but, I say a rat smells like a rat and another deal will come along.

She might have been willing to pay the 500, but it was pretty beat up, and only 2wd. I just wasn't going to play their game, who knows what else they may have tried. And no, we didn't mean at her house, he drove out and we met in a store parking lot.

As for getting her an XJ, she wants a pickup.

Some of you are spot on when it comes to inviting strnagers to your house. I don't know about you, but I have a lot of money invested in my tools, and toys. For the most part I only deal with ppl I know, and If a stranger comes to my house (which is in the middle of now where), I make sure my pistol is in easy reach, and my dogs are out :brows: