no start after SYE install

I just finished installing a SYE. Finished everything and went to start...but no start. The new tailhousing doesn't have the plug connection that the old one did. Could this have something to do with not starting? Have already cleaned the battery terminals.

I just finished installing a SYE. Finished everything and went to start...but no start. The new tailhousing doesn't have the plug connection that the old one did. Could this have something to do with not starting? Have already cleaned the battery terminals.

You have an auto tranny? Neutral safety switch discoed?

It's an '89 w/AW4. I did remove the crossmember, and in the process, lowered everything about 1.5" while I was doing the install. My speedo cable is reattached; I'm pretty sure it's the vaccum thing I left hanging. I don't think I messed with the crankshaft position sensor; just rolled the truck to line the driveshafts back up. As far as the NSS switch goes, where is it on the tranny? Could have discoed it when I lowered everything.

It's an '89 w/AW4. I did remove the crossmember, and in the process, lowered everything about 1.5" while I was doing the install. My speedo cable is reattached; I'm pretty sure it's the vaccum thing I left hanging. I don't think I messed with the crankshaft position sensor; just rolled the truck to line the driveshafts back up. As far as the NSS switch goes, where is it on the tranny? Could have discoed it when I lowered everything.

It will never start if you have the NSS discoed. This should help:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

The truck won't start at all? I was under the impression that it would start in any gear. Since buying the truck, I've always been able to start it in any gear, and the backup lights have never worked.

On the 91 HO models and above, if the NSS plug was disconnected (same as if the cable was severed) it discos the circuit to the starter relay, and will not start at all. I just saw you have a 89 - might not be the case. :eek:

The truck won't start at all? I was under the impression that it would start in any gear. Since buying the truck, I've always been able to start it in any gear, and the backup lights have never worked.
That would indicate that the NSS is bad so maybe it finally just cut you off completely instead of allowing it to do things that it shouldn't.

I unplugged the NSS connection in the engine compartment and sprayed it with some cleaner. The truck starts in P and N, but it also starts in all the other gears...and the backup lights don't work. But at least it's back to the way it was before.