110v MIG welders

CWLONGSHOT

My old Snap-on $#!& the bed last week. Its old and well used, I brought it down to the welding supply to inquire about repair and was told, they could fix it. But there would be a min $90 fee than any parts and labor would be on top of that. If I decided against the repair, I would still owe the $90. Actually, I would have to pay that just to drop it off. SO, like I said, its old and done its share of welding jobs, time for a new unit!!

I have a 230v Lincoln buzz box at my disposal for the big stuff. So I am leaning hard at staying with a 110-115v unit. I already have the gas bottle and regulator and will be looking for a unit that utilizes it.

I know about Millers and Lincoln units and know they are good, but they are also top dollar. How are the Hobart units? Specifically the Hobart handler 140 M500500 unit? I can get this for under 500 locally as well as a number of online locations with free ship.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-140- ... dZViewItem

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldi ... 00500.html

I know about the 20% duty cycle and the 1/4" limitation. I also just learned Hobart is owned by Miller. I wouldn't hesitate on a Miller at this cost so what about the Hobart?

I need to do this pretty quick as I am in the middle of a couple projects and want to return the borrowed unit ASAP.

All advice welcome!!

Thanks, guys,

CW

I have a Hobart Handler 180 (the older 220 unit, just above the 140).

I like it very much. And its basically the same thing as the Miller line... just purple-ish instead of blue. My gun even says "miller" on the side of it. All parts are interchangeable.

We have a Miller 140 unit (basically the same as the Hobart unit) here at work. Nice little machine. We use flux core, so can't tell you about the gas hook up... but it performs nice.

Unless you have a genetic aversion to Purple ... go with the Hobart unit. made in the USA, made by miller in fact. But about 20% cheaper.

Just my $0.02.

- Ben @ Loco4WD.com

The Hobart is a good machine, was independent, until Miller bought it up 7-8 years ago, and kept the name as a "lower" cost unit.

I've used the 184 (220) unit, and it burns into 1/4"+ no problems.

I use a Campbell Hasfield 110 unit, mostly for 16 ga sheet metal, on the jobs, hard to find 220v on a job site, and a 110 unit is great for sheet metal, and can do 1/8", and hard for 1/4"

With all the fab work you do, stick with a 220 welder. I don't think you'll be happy with a 110 volt unit. At worst, borrow one from some one, and try it, and you'll see if it fits the bill for you.

Not to change your mind, but check into the Clark welders, I know my next 220v will have this name on it.

Disclaimer.........Above statement is my 2 cents.

Buddy of mine has an old hobart 110 with the lil squirt bottle. It has been an excellent little machine for it's intended use, gauge material and light plate. Everybody borrows it all the time for the last 10 years and it's had a problem or 2 but nothing major. I have an older 220 Hobart Handler and it's been a good one too. Miller and Hobart have always at least worked in the same fashion and produced the same results so get your best deal.

Now if ya wanna call a "nag a nag" try a Century 110, Wow, you could get em at Sam's Club for $79.99, 19.99 for the gas adapter. I beat that thing clean to death with an 18 lb sledge. :headpop:

I really like mine

Welded my floor pans in my XJ, welded up 3 different exhaust systems, two rear bumpers 3/16" and 1/4" thick, and a bunch of misc. stuff.

I have gone though about ~30lbs of wire with all my projects so far.

FYI I have owned it for about a year now.

I just got the same clark welder .I haven't used it much yet. Glad that you like yours ofter a year . Have any pics of the bumpers you made?

Yes I do, I have to leave in a few minutes.

When I get back I will post a pic of mine.

pics of my little brothers bumper we built. Not done in these pics, I will post updates.

do the mj and xj have the same distance and mountings for the front and rear bumpers?

Fronts should be exactally the same.

Rears are way different on everything.

you know what the distance between the mountings in the front?

Thank you everyone for all the tips, recomendations and advice!! You guys ROCK!!!

I ordered the Hobart 140 today from Harbour Freight. They had a deal with free shipping AND FREE cart...$459.99!!!!!

Total cost, $480... doesn't add up right... I questioned, I thought shipping was free...well it is, but there is a $20 fuel surcharge!! Oh well, no biggie, I still go a good deal!!

Should be here next Friday!!!

CW

I just got the same clark welder .I haven't used it much yet. Glad that you like yours ofter a year . Have any pics of the bumpers you made?

Yes I do, I have to leave in a few minutes.

When I get back I will post a pic of mine.

pics of my little brothers bumper we built. Not done in these pics, I will post updates.

I did not want to high jack this thread, so I posted my rear bumper I welded with my Clark welder on the rear bumper thread.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... 9584#89584

second page.

Oh BTW CW that sounds like a killer deal on a Hobart 140, Nice jamminz.gif

The fuel surcharge don't sound right to me... I would have questioned it more... you basically paid shipping if you ask me.

I wish I would have been on when you posted this. Persoanlly I think you should have went with a 220v welder, cause as pointed out you do a lot of fab work. AS I have pointed out before...

WELDERS are like BOOBS.... BIGGER is ALWAYS better.

Seriously know lots of ppl with this machine and all seem happy with it

The fuel surcharge don't sound right to me... I would have questioned it more... you basically paid shipping if you ask me.

I wish I would have been on when you posted this. Personally I think you should have went with a 220v welder, cause as pointed out you do a lot of fab work. AS I have pointed out before...

WELDERS are like BOOBS.... BIGGER is ALWAYS better.

Seriously know lots of ppl with this machine and all seem happy with it

Thanks man, Yours is the opinion I thought of when I asked this question.

Your spot on about the surcharge...its basically shipping as you say.

My biggest reason for the 115V is the buzz box lincoln. It will do a much better job than even the 230V MiG for HD welding.

I got a chance to use it tonight!! MAN this thing is NICE!!!!! I welded on a couple 1/4" rings on a trailer I am building. I need them for attachment points for straps. Well I have about 6 on the trailer, I finished all but two when my old welder $#!& the bed. I welded the last two tonight. Well, with the welder set at "3" or 75% power, my tack weld to hold the ring in place burned clean thru it!!!!! I couldn't burn thru it on the highest setting with my old machine!!!!

I LIKE IT ALOTT!!!

CW