Trutrack 30 & Tracklock 35

:D Hey MJ nation ! Got a deal in the works for such lockers, they include reg 3.07 gears, (That's what I still have anyway.for now) extra set of axles Front & Rear . All for $225.

Anything good / bad about such lockers? That I need to know about.

Picking them up tomorrow and working on them on Fri. jamminz.gif

:eek: Ur right :oops: My bad there :D not too knowledgable on such 8)

So for a D D like mine still w/ 3.07's and stock d35....... I guess there is less of a risk of starting the "weak link " domino effect with this right? ......

What rear locker would you recomend when the time comes to regear? For Regular trail riding up to 3.5 dif level , pulling a trailer . and 70% fwy driving? :popcorn:

Both the True Trac and the Trac-Lok are limited slip units, not lockers. The difference is that the Trac-Lok (which was the factory option) is a clutch-type limited slip. It WILL wear out over time (for me, the original in my '88 Cherokee lasted about 150,000 miles), and it requires a special additive to the differential lube for proper operation. The True Trac is a gear-operated limited slip. It doesn't wear out, it doesn't require special additives, and once engaged it's a bit more aggressive than the Trac-Lok. It also cost about $100 more.

You mention towing. You should NOT tow with a locker. Period. If towing is part of your plans, go with a limited slip. The units you're buying will be very adequate for the use you describe. BUT ...

$225 is barely the cost of a new Trac-Lok alone. If you're getting both for $225, they're used. I would not install a used Trac-Lok without replacing the clutch packs, and that's another $75 or so just for parts. Also, both these units are full differentials, so be sure they are the correct units for use with your gear ratio. I don't recall offhand where the carrier breaks are, but I have a feeling that one or the other of your axles has a carrier break going from 3.07 to 3.55, so if these came out of an automatic, one of them may not be suitable for your vehicle.

Thanks Guys :cheers: so this is the posting @craigs list for such http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/601559676.html

so The seller is driving over and briging everything tomorrow .

for $225 , ( It would of been $200 even If I drove to his place )

+ 3.50 a gallon of gas NOooo Thx. :D

So every thing u see in pic am getting so some used parts also.

So before I install the rear unit (track lok) u suggest to replace clutches .. Will do :chillin:

U mention a special additive for such .. any idea wich ? :D

What I tow mostly every where i camp is a pop up camper. So I guess u are correct .

Another thing guess it will be a relatebly easy swap since They have the same :oops: gearing as my stock 3.07 ? :oops:

The weird part for me is that i asked if he had a MJ ( because of the gearing) but he says that it come out of a yj . So I guess such was a 4.0 std trans? ( did not know that yj had such gears...... :nuts:

The only thing there I see of any value to an offroader would be the true trak and it's no good if you decide to put in lower gearing, even 4.10s. For the gain of a trak lock I would go through setting up the gears for what it would gain you, just my opnion.

just to be overly clear - you can't replace your diff internals with those and expect it to work. They are from two different diffs and you can't mismatch your pinion with his ring gear or your bearing caps for his, etc. You will want to buy master install kits for both axles and pay a professional to swap your open carriers for those limited slip carriers. Also as Eagle metioned you will need to rebuild the clutch packs in trac-lock. Total cost for paying a pro to set up your diffs will be close to 900 with install kits if not more.

The reason you pay a pro is because rarely do people doing their first time get it right and the equipment needed to do this job is more than the cost to pay someone.

Limited slips will definitely help with wheeling, its just that when most people chuck down the coin to pay a pro to install they re-gear (helps with bigger tires) and install full carrier lockers (better than limited slips for heavy offroad use). Plus putting any money into a D35 (except fluid and brakes) is a waste of money, period.

I may have mis-read the deal. Are you getting complete axle assemblies, or are you getting the differentials, gears, and axle shafts only?

If all you're getting is the internals, then UNLIMTD is entirely correct. In fact, setting up used gears is MORE difficult than setting up new gears, because if you don't hit the original engagement pattern pretty much spot-on you'll always have noisy gears. So on top of the $225 for these parts, you're looking at maybe $75 for the Trac-Lok clutch kit, new pinion, carrier and axle bearings, and new seals. And a new crush sleeve for the pinion preload. Plus paying someone to do the install.

Gotta be honest -- unless you do some hard-core wheeling, you don't really need the front True Trac. Rather than toss all that money at used stuff, if I were in your situation (which I was when I bought the '88 MJ) I would just buy a new True Trac for the rear D35 and pay someone to install it.

:cheers: hhhmmmm makes good sense guys :D

It's nice to still get over excited at a chance of improvement at my age .....lol :eek:

But......... there isn't too much room for improvement when u still want to keep ur ba/10 + d35 and on top of it 3.07 gears. :nuts:

Thanks Guys :cheers:

:D Last night I tried to post up something but I was a bit :cheers: ok so I talked to the seller of such parts and taking in consideration all that was mentioned here :brows:

Hackedmj : -I only bought the trutrack 30 .... :eek: $85

I 'll hide it in a place where my wife doesn't trip on it the mean time :mad:

Won't invest more than new brakes on the 35 Pete ;) I'll go hunting for an 8.25 for the rear. and get a trutrack for it eagle . :D

Won't be going over 32's on this rig so I guess 3.55 will do.... :nuts:

I know I'm weak :D

It is a learning experience. :popcorn:

I think you made a good call.

I read from the beginning, but didn't comment as so many others mirrored my opinions.

The Tru-Trac is a great LS if not the best. I have seen only one other LS snap an axle, that's an aggressive limited slip!!

You will LOVE everything about this diff!!

CW

Thanks Bud ; Good call only made possible by the Good advice Given here in ComancheClub. :bowdown: It really helps :D

Will post up here on such when all pieces fall together.

Best Regards to all .

;)