Solving Renix vacuum mess.

I've always heard that the Renix is notorious for vaccumm problems, I'm experiencing a couple right now and it sucks! :headpop: Since I've all but determined that I'll be doing a full HO swap when it comes time, I'd like to get rid of as much of the vacuum stuff as possible to make the install simpler and the whole operation less problem-prone. There are a lot of vaccum lines and such in my engine bay... which ones are necessary and which ones can i ditch?

Thanks!

Why would renix engines be any worse than the older HOs? The issues isn't the renix stuff, the issue is 20 year old vacuum lines in a 20 year old truck. The rubber and plastic will degrade over time. Buy yourself a bunch of the appropriate size tubing and replace them one at a time.

I was under the impression that the renix-era MJs had more vacuum accesories and such... more stuff to go wrong. If both Renix and HO equipped MJs had the same vacuum stuff, my question still remains... I realize I could fix it, but I'm asking what I can get rid of when I put in my HO motor. (I'll be using the HO manifolds and picking up the appropriate wiring harness/computer if that matters)

I was under the impression that the HO engines didn't have an EGR. EGR uses alot of vacuum lines. Looking under the hood of my old '88 MJ parked next to a '92 XJ revealed that it was a little more cluttered under my hood than the '92, but nothing out of control. If you think a Renix MJ is bad you should try replaching all the rubber hoses on a carbureted '83 Wagoneer with a smog pump and a vacuum axle disconnect.

X2 on getting a bunch of rubber hose of the appropriate size and replacing them 1 by 1. Not that hard to do, and it'll familiarize you with it a little better. If you're going to HO you'll have less than you have now because of the EGR being gone. The ECU will go where your EGR solenoid is now.

If you want to eliminate even more vacuum stuff you can remove all the lines going to and from the transfer case and the CAD. You'd need to either shim your CAD so it's always engaged or install a later XJ one piece axle shaft.

I was under the impression that the renix-era MJs had more vacuum accesories and such... more stuff to go wrong. If both Renix and HO equipped MJs had the same vacuum stuff, my question still remains... I realize I could fix it, but I'm asking what I can get rid of when I put in my HO motor. (I'll be using the HO manifolds and picking up the appropriate wiring harness/computer if that matters)

Nothing.

There is no "Renix vacuum mess." What you may be referring to is the fact that the HVAC controls are all vacuum operated. That has nothing to do with the engine, and will remain after you swap to an HO engine. Aside from creating a lot of work for yourself for questionable gains, all you'll really be eliminating is the EGR valve.

Well I guess no EGR will be nice. Ok, what about that canister-looking thing behind the bumper on the passenger side? I broke it open and taped it up, but I would really like to move it/ditch it. Anyone got a diagram? I'm looking at the ones in my Chilton manual and they aren't very detailed... I need a FSM :wall:

That vacuum cannister is what stores vacuum for the HVAC controls. If you have factory cruise control, it has a second chamber for the cruise. It is used on the HOs as well as the Renix, so "upgrading" to an HO engine won't eliminate it. The engine itself doesn't need it; it's not part of the engine controls.

I've always heard that the Renix is notorious for vaccumm problems, ...

You have to be careful about stuff you hear. There are a lot of people out there who will happily tell you they know everything about Jeeps, and in reality they don't know the headlights from the taillights.

I have owned a few 88-90 Renix Jeeps,

The vacuum mess is on the valve cover.

The rear tube for 87-90 is 4762592.

Front for the 87, both halves

53004378 and 53004379

Front for the 88-90

53004838 and 53004868

Pick up a map sensor line 53004589.

search by factory part number #2

http://www.newjeepparts.com/Jeep-parts.htm

Here is a naxja link,

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903179