Project Budget Trail Mj. *New Pics*

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek:

ok, So.....Sticking with the 2.5L

Update: the Clutch Slave Cylinder is $169!!!!! So I'm going to just eat it for the sake of "Budget" and throw a new one in.

Build party is in 2weeks, Going to have some friends come over and get the SOA and Front Axle installed w/Lift. Then its a matter of the clutch problem and some drivelines and its rolling under its own power.

Sweet.

~Ryan

The T-case and 4wd Trans is in place, Are those Shift Linkages just a pain in the arse to adjust? I'm having a hard time getting it into the correct position. Its not "Stiff" It feels like Its just not fulling engaging.

Talk to me. Ill post a pic.

~Ryan

Q & A Session.

Looking at my Pedal assy. I noticed that the clutch is lower than the brake, is that normal on a comanche? I ask because the master cylinder push rod is what is limiting it. I pulled the Master out and the rod is NOT adjustable...Bummer.

The T-Case is installed already, However the shift linkage must take alot of "Tinkering" to get adjusted correctly because it feels as if there is some binding that prevents the shift to 4wd, By hand, No Probs.

Just a few Questions and a update.

~Ryan

on the TC shift rod, put the case in 2HI and loosen the trunion nut that holds the rod in position. Then, put the shift handle in the 2WD position and tighten the trunion nut back down.

Also, there's three different sized linkage rods (the rod that actually attaches to the TC) depending on what tranny the TC was behind. The AX5 is the shortest, then the AX15, and the longest is the AW4. Make sure you have the correct rod for your tranny or it won't shift into all positions.

Jeff

Little Update on the Project.

RE Trackbar, LCA's and the Rear SOA are done. I still need to install the front axle and Driveline. Oh, And put in the slave cyl!! Grrr.

here's the Pics.

^^ Yes, Its sitting on the Ground.

The SOA was much bigger than I thought..lol...So I picked up some 6" Tj coils to through on there, Prolly about 5" on the ol' Mj.

Front Axle install this coming Week.

~Ryan

mjeff, i hope you don't start the project without the interior harness. the pins on the bulkhead connector are waaay different

I HAVE done the 2.5 to 4.0 swap on my current Comanche few years ago and if you use a Comanche donor, you DON'T need to change any wiring inside the cab.You ONLY need the under hood harness. I know that for a fact as I have done the swap. (If you use a XJ donor it may be different?)

You just unplug the old harness at the connector plug in the new one and everything works.

The SOA was much bigger than I thought..lol...So I picked up some 6" Tj coils to through on there, Prolly about 5" on the ol' Mj.

~Ryan

FWIW, I'm using 5.5 TJ coils on mine in the front with a 3/4" spacer. It's got about a 3/4-1" rake. The coils are softer than XJ/MJ ones, and I just put new front shocks on yesterday along with a set of BPE's. Almost rides like stock again :D

Jeff

mjeff, i hope you don't start the project without the interior harness. the pins on the bulkhead connector are waaay different

I HAVE done the 2.5 to 4.0 swap on my current Comanche few years ago and if you use a Comanche donor, you DON'T need to change any wiring inside the cab.You ONLY need the under hood harness. I know that for a fact as I have done the swap. (If you use a XJ donor it may be different?)

You just unplug the old harness at the connector plug in the new one and everything works.

we need a tech page on this.

i guarantee you a 4.0 harnes doesn't work with anything 1986 and prior, and i'm almost certain 87 is also different pinouts on the bulkhead connector.

what did you use (years) with what year 2.5 interior harness? everyone needs to know the interchange.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i want to do a soa conversion, can you help me out on this?

and what i would need for the front

this is all new to me

and i want to learn to do it along with building my comanche up

Progress.....

Picked up some 33 x 10.5 BFG on some nice wheels, Got the Paint progress coming along. Front Axle should be here this week so I can get it under its own suspension. Still need to pull the Transmission and install the Slave/Bearing so the clutch works properly.

here's the Pics.

The Lift is not installed, It should give the 33" more than enough room. So don't judge its size yet.

The wheels are going to be a off white color, Much like my loved Jt Truck.

And thats that..... The body is rough, don't be fooled by the photos, But with good color and refreshed black parts, it looks great from 10 Feet. The interior has got a new seat cover and thats about it. I plan to do the floors in Rhino along with the bed. (Canned stuff)

~Ryan

Shes One color....

Painting the Wheels a Sandstone/Offwhite color tomorrow and Hopefully hanging that front axle!

~Ryan

Paint was Just a Rustoleum Satin Sandstone and Fusion. Its the best rattle can Ive ever used. Its a clean looking trail paint! $35 In Paint. heh..."Budget Mj"

I lived in Butler, PA for some time, My whole family is from PA. I bought a 1993 Wrangler in PA brand new, And it was rusted by 1995.

Here in WA cars don't rust unless you sand them and don't paint them.

~Ryan

I hung the rear tires up, wanted to see where it was sitting. Looks great and plenty of room.

"Put down the sawsall and step away from the MJ"

Front Axle goes in this weekend...Transmission Comes out and New Slave goes in. Should be Rolling by Wednesday of next week. I have decided to Cut the stock driveline down and weld it up at work just to get me rolling for now.

~Ryan