Missing Fan WTF?

It is an 89 4.0 with no AC

MY radiator finally went. I went to put it in today and noticed that the radiator thats in there now does not have a plug for the temp sensor. It just has the lower radiator hose and one tranny line at the top and one at the bottom. Where it looks like the sensor would be it just has a round thing (like a small neck about .5" and if i put my finger in it thre is nothing, just flat metal). Then I noticed that I only have one fan. Thats the problem, now the questions.

Isnt there supposed to be two fans?

Should I just put the new radiator in even though it has the connector for the temp sensor plug on it?

I figure that the plug that goes into the radiator is on the fan and thats why I can't find it. Should I get an electric fan from the JY or just leave it with the one? It has never overheated on me.

Sorry for the long post. Jim

6 of the 7 XJs my family's had came with electric fans. Then again...they were all 4.0s with A/C...

Also, I've never seen a temp sensor in the radiator. Renix ones (I believe) were on the bottom drivers side of the block, and the chrystler ones have it in the Thermo housing. The gauge one is on the back of the head.

The problem people seem to be having the conversion to the open system is the temp sensor is not on the open/conversion radiator. That is what kept me from converting. Since I don't need the sensor since I don't have AC maybe I will convert the system. If I convert will I then need two fans? If my new radiator has the temp sensor plug on it should I return it for the one without or will it be OK to use it? Thanks for the help. Jim

6 of the 7 XJs my family's had came with electric fans. Then again...they were all 4.0s with A/C...

Also, I've never seen a temp sensor in the radiator. Renix ones (I believe) were on the bottom drivers side of the block, and the chrystler ones have it in the Thermo housing. The gauge one is on the back of the head.

Look closer at your 87, 88 and 89. If they have an electric fan, the fan sensor is in the driver's side radiator tank, about halfway down. The temp sensor in the side of the block is for data input to the ECU and has nothing to do with the aux. fan.

My 88 came to me with the fan's temp sensor located in a hard tube spliced intothe lower radiator hose. Don't know why, but I doubt it was factory so maybe that would be an option for those without the boss in their radiator.

My 88 came to me with the fan's temp sensor located in a hard tube spliced intothe lower radiator hose. Don't know why, but I doubt it was factory so maybe that would be an option for those without the boss in their radiator.
That was a great fix for the "open" conversion, but that tube is no longer available. Believe me...I tried to find one to use when I did my conversion and went through hell finding a way to make the electric fan work.

maddzz1... I would leave it alone. If it came without and electric fan, don't worry about it. Convert if you want, but the not having a fan thing should not be a problem for you.