Just replaced my CPS...

Just replaced my CPS in an autozone parking lot :eek:

The ol' Comanche left me stranded at walmart on Saturday so I figured something was up. The gf and I had to leave it in the parking lot all night because it was too cold to do anything. The next morning it started right up and I promptly drove it home. I wasn't 100% sure what the problem was so I decided to drive it to work today (about 20miles one way), and the only odd occurrence was that it would cut out every now and then (sudden loss of power and the tach would drop to 0).

I had been reading up on the CPS and decided I should go to autozone and pick one up since they are only 30 bucks, so after work I drove there and bought one and the comanche promptly refused to start again hehe. One of the guys that worked there was outside smoking and let me borrow some tools and a flashlight. The whole job took me about 2 hours, I had 3 extensions and there is quite abit of skin missing from my knuckles but she fired up on the first try and I hope I never have to replace a damned CPS again. :D

Just wanted to share my story. thx

Just replaced my CPS in an autozone parking lot :eek:

The ol' Comanche left me stranded at walmart on Saturday so I figured something was up. The gf and I had to leave it in the parking lot all night because it was too cold to do anything. The next morning it started right up and I promptly drove it home. I wasn't 100% sure what the problem was so I decided to drive it to work today (about 20miles one way), and the only odd occurrence was that it would cut out every now and then (sudden loss of power and the tach would drop to 0).

I had been reading up on the CPS and decided I should go to autozone and pick one up since they are only 30 bucks, so after work I drove there and bought one and the comanche promptly refused to start again hehe. One of the guys that worked there was outside smoking and let me borrow some tools and a flashlight. The whole job took me about 2 hours, I had 3 extensions and there is quite abit of skin missing from my knuckles but she fired up on the first try and I hope I never have to replace a damned CPS again. :D

Just wanted to share my story. thx

Cool! If mine goes bad, I know who to call! :brows:

man, that makes me appreciate working on a lift all day, a CPS on a cherokee is a gravy ticket. few foot long extension with a wobble 10 and 1/4" ratchet.

my brother had to do one in a driveway with limited tools and ended up with a socket in the bellhousing and spent forever trying to fish it out with a magnetic thingy.

:bowdown: to the lift-gods. :brows:

glad you got her fixed up.

man, that makes me appreciate working on a lift all day, a CPS on a cherokee is a gravy ticket. few foot long extension with a wobble 10 and 1/4" ratchet.

my brother had to do one in a driveway with limited tools and ended up with a socket in the bellhousing and spent forever trying to fish it out with a magnetic thingy.

:bowdown: to the lift-gods. :brows:

glad you got her fixed up.

There was one point where I was trying to get the bolt started, turning turning turning and I pulled the socket and all the extensions away to take a look and there was no bolt there! I was ready to cry because I thought I had dropped it in the bellhousing, but it was just buried in the end of the socket. Throughout the whole process I was so worried about dropping one of those bolts in there. :D :D

i was all freaked out about replacing the dern thing on a friends jeep after reading all the horror stories on here but i did it on a lift at work and had it in and out in like 20 minutes . i could see where it could be a pain though.