Removing rear flares

The PO Painted the bed without removing the flairs, so now the paint is peeling off where the flairs meet the body. Before I go ripping off unnecessary parts, can anyone tell me how many screws hold the flare on or does anyone have any special advice or tips on removing the flares.

On a second related note. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to sand with, primer, and paint in a spray can?

Thanks in advance :D

PS. Where do you guys buy POR 15?

Here's a pic of the paint peeling on the flair.

I think there are 9 fasteners per flare. Each flare has 3 metal plates with 3 studs in each plate. You'll probably end up breaking off some of the studs but you can drill them out and braze in new ones, not sure about welding they're pretty thin.

There are 9 fasteners per flare, 3 on each metal plate as stated. :roll: I broke off the majority of the studs when I was removing my flares... so I ditched those silly metal plates and bought some nylon hardware (1/4"-20 hex screws and nuts) and used them to reattach the flares using the existing holes where the metal studs had gone throught the flare. It turned out great and now I don't have to worry about taking the flares off again if I need to... no rusty metal studs! jamminz.gif

I did al my painiting, priming, and sanding with stuff I bought from the auto parts store. An assortment of sand paper grits, and rattlecan paint and primer. I did all the prep sprayed the paint and then buffed it out after it had time to thoroughly dry and it all turned out very nice... beter than I thought for a rattlecan job!

Before I reattached the flares I applied a thin strip of Herculiner along the fender to just above the attachment holes to help prevent rust and to protect that area. It has been awhile since I did this and I cannot remember if there is a second piece of plastic with the rear flare that covered the gap between the underside of the flare and the matal fender... I think there was and I did not replace it during the process... it just seemed like a good place to catch dirt and salt so I left it off to make hosing out the fender easier and more effective.

I'm very happy with how it all turned out. :D

It may be just me but I wouldn't waste the money on the factory mounting hardware for the flares. It just seemed real cheap... almost an after thought... that's why I ditched mine and went with my own hardware! :D :brows:

Thats why I use stainless hardware on mine.