tranny output seal

I'm planning on putting an np242 on my comanche, which has an ax5 transmission. output is 21 spline, and the 242 DOES have a 21 spline input.

BUT it's a short input shaft, and the ax5 uses the long input shaft.

does anyone know a part number for a custom seal that will cover the 1/2" difference. i know there's a spacer out there but I can make one myself for cheaper...I'd rather use longer seal, and don't have the $$$ for the longer input shaft

-Pat

never heard of a custom seal (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist...)

you sure your AX5 has the recessed output? I played h*ll with mine when I converted it because I bought a used AX5 that had it without knowing, and tried to mate a short input 231 to it (leaked like a seive). Found out the tranny came from a YJ, not an XJ/MJ. Swapped it out with an XJ tranny, still the one that's in there, and all's been good since. I've got another AX5 in the parts pile I pulled from an MJ, and it's a shallow output as well.

FWIW, I searched high and low, and could NOT find a 231 21 spline with a long output.

Jeff

well, see what ya got first. I'm running a 2.5 also, but am ruminating about either a 4.0 or a 340 swap in the not-to-distant future. Ye olde 4 popper just isn't cutting it with the 33Xx12.5's.....

'Bout time ya realized that Jeff-man. Stroker time? :cheers:

The 242 I just got a few weeks back is 21 spline. Came out of an 87 XJ. It also has the short input. I'm putting it behind a AW4 though and that is what it came behind in the 87. However, now you have me thinking I'm going to have the same issue with the short shaft. I had to deal with this once already with the TJ when I swapped in a 241OR(short shaft) for the 231(long shaft). What a pain that was. Used a Teraflex seal extender to fix that but it won't work on the AW4 tranny.

well, see what ya got first. I'm running a 2.5 also, but am ruminating about either a 4.0 or a 340 swap in the not-to-distant future. Ye olde 4 popper just isn't cutting it with the 33Xx12.5's.....

'Bout time ya realized that Jeff-man. Stroker time? :cheers:

Standby for a PM in the next couple days or so Don.....I need to pick your brain

:cheers:

Jeff