Help needed with Smog check failure

I know this has been covered, I searched but couldn't find what I needed.

'89, 4.0, AT, 2WD failed smog test in CA. It passed 2 years ago here's the comparison (in CA it's done on a dyno at 2 speeds):

Test..................Max........"Gross Polluter".......2006 Test.......2008 Test

HC@ 15MPH......123...............310.....................32...................188

HC@ 25MPH......103...............260.....................26...................182

CO@ 15MPH......0.73...............2.03...................0.03................ 2.83

CO@ 25MPH......0.93...............2.23...................0.02.................2.83

NO@ 15MPH......1015..............1800..................163...................776

NO@ 25MPH.......875...............1600..................294...................772

So it was high for hydrocarbons and a gross polluter for carbon monoxide. I've only put 7000 miles in the 2 years but look at the differences. What do you guys think it is? I have an idea but don't want to dismiss any options I haven't thought of. Thanks for any input.

well,here goes,could be any one or a combination.bad o2 sensor or wiring problem,bad or insufficient sensor grounds,bad egr or control system for it,fuel pressure regulator bad,leaking injectors,map sensor bad or vacuum supply to sensor compromised,wicked plugged air filter,wicked dirty throttle body/intake,valve timing off(timing chain jumped or just worn badly),bad computer,coolant sensor bad or just a little bad and lying to the ecm,too cold thermostat(engine running too cold,computer never takes it "off the choke" and is rich),manifold air density sensor problems.this is only a partial list.i am sure other posters on this site will come up with more.if the thing runs good and idles good and you did not want to pay a shop $$$$$ to test it i would take a stab at changing the o2 sensor.the high co readings point to an out of control feedback fuel system which will also raise the hc's.if it was a leaking intake gasket the hc's would be off the scale and the co would be low.the o2 sensor is the main component the ecm uses to control fuel trim with the map sensor a close second.map sensors are much more reliable than the o2's hence the suggestion to change it (the o2)first.good luck.

Hello Neighbor,

I have heard of this problem before and it usually involves the O2 and Catalytic converter. I know you have three trucks and 7K in two years isn't a lot of driving. Is this the truck with the weird short when you depressed the ebrake that made it cut off?

:cheers:

Hello Neighbor,

I have heard of this problem before and it usually involves the O2 and Catalytic converter. I know you have three trucks and 7K in two years isn't a lot of driving. Is this the truck with the weird short when you depressed the ebrake that made it cut off?

Hi Joe,

No, this is the red '89, that was the blue '90. I was thinking along the same lines, replace the O2 sensor and retest or should I replace both O2 sensor and cat? I had this happen before to the '90, I checked all sensors and replaced the 02 and cat which was rattling and it passed. However the cat in this truck isn't making any noise. Is the cat's main function to reduce NO? Since I had to take it to a Smog Only test center, I can now take it to a qualified "Gold Star Center" (after approval) pay the first $100 and the State will pay up to $500 for the fix. It sounds good but I really don't like anyone working on my MJs. That's why I'm thinking of 02 sensor $50 + $50 for retesting, that's what I'd pay through the program anyway. If that didn't work cat $100, if that wasn't it go through the program. Any comments?

Hello Neighbor,

Hi Joe,

No, this is the red '89, that was the blue '90. I was thinking along the same lines, replace the O2 sensor and retest or should I replace both O2 sensor and cat? I had this happen before to the '90, I checked all sensors and replaced the 02 and cat which was rattling and it passed. However the cat in this truck isn't making any noise. Is the cat's main function to reduce NO? Since I had to take it to a Smog Only test center, I can now take it to a qualified "Gold Star Center" (after approval) pay the first $100 and the State will pay up to $500 for the fix. It sounds good but I really don't like anyone working on my MJs. That's why I'm thinking of 02 sensor $50 + $50 for retesting, that's what I'd pay through the program anyway. If that didn't work cat $100, if that wasn't it go through the program. Any comments?

Had the same thing happen when I lived out in San Diego. Guy told me it was either the cat or O2 sensor. My advice would be to start with the cheapest to replace. That's what I did. Change the O2 sensor and had it retested and pasted by a little margin. I was able to take mine to the base being military and the retest didn't cost me anything. Is it 20 or 25 year old cars that no longer require smog checks?

:cheers:

In Ca. it's 1975 and below that get to skip smog tests. The bummer is that there is no longer a limit on how much you have to spend to make it pass. Anything Jeep between 1976 and TBI is doomed.

It make for a good supply of truggy and trailer queen donors though. jamminz.gif

This may sound silly to some of you but if you put on a set of street tires inflated as high as you dare your motor will spin that dyno a lot easier. It wouldn't be enough for your problem but it can make the difference when you are right on the line. (I know a good smog man)