AC addition

I'm considering moving the AC components from my out of service 89

Pioneer to my 88( 2-60 air conditioned). Is it a reasonable project for an average person ( I'm not the motorhead in the family) to try.

I've always done all my own basic maint. as well as changed a water pump and a few alternators.

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Opinions please..... :???: :wrench:

You will have to switch out almost the whole dash as well as all of the components under the hood. If you have more than just a week end and are able to take your time, then why not. However if this is a DD that you need, I am not sure I would take this on IMHO.

Guest you'll never know until you try ;)

It's not a major project, like swapping the engine, but there are a lot of parts you need to swap over.

I guest you should look over the donor first, pull the dash out and see all the parts that need to be swapped, and then decide what you want to do.

With having the donor on hand, it would make it easier, as you can pull the complete heater box out, and swap it over. Plus, you can pull everything off the donor, and you'll know what you need to do to your '88 to install all the parts needed, and have less down time on your '88 ;)

*sigh*

remove dash.

drain cooling system, and AC system (it won't be able to stay charged when removed).

remove A/C // heater box via 6 bolts through the firewall

disconnect controls

on a 4.0, remove the upper radiator support, and then remove the condensor and associated plumbing.

remove a/c compressor, bracket, and pulleys

remove all no-longer-essential assemblies from the new vehicle in which you will be placing the AC (i.e. remove the "same" parts from your driver)

interchange.

reinstall dash assembly

drive.

removing the dash isn't that hard...5 to 7 screws up in front of it, most are 5/16" hex heads which can be accessed via a drill and long extension. 2 15" bolts on the sides, and w more nuts holding the steering column in. also, kneeboard will need to drop out, the dash bezel will need to come off so you can pull the controls through.

you don't HAVE to completely remove the dash for this swap. just move it out of the way a bit. I think it's easier to remove the dash...but i've done 7 or 8 of them so i've learned where everything goes. you may opt for the push-out-of-way approach.

estimated dash removal time with power tools...1 hour first try, 35 min. second try. rest of the parts are easy if you are a mechanically inclined person. I'd remove the parts from the donor on one weekend, and install them on the driver the following weekend. remember to plug off the AC drier if you're letting it sit...you don't want it to become moist from outside air.

I just did this and I'm still in the process of doing it I started last saturday about 10 hours and have been working on it after work bout 3 hours a night and I'm going in tomorrow and finishing it up it is a lot of work...

Here is the complete harness, dash and A/C out of a 90 xj. Which I found out after words that the harness is different. So in order to get the fuel pump and rear lights to work I had to do some wiring and splicing...

Dash out and new a/c box installed

front of jeep tore apart to install the condenser and compressor.

The old dash and wiring...

Well, at least now I have an idea of what I'd be getting into. I'm not planning

on trying to tackle this any time soon, maybe in the summer when I don't need the heater. I have a few other projects I want to do first, like install the vent windows.

Thanks for all your input. :clapping: