What is this?

Was re-wrapping the wiring harness for the MJ and found this.

In line fuse holder and what appears to be maybe a diode pluged into a connector.

This harness came out of a XJ, 4.0 auto 4x4. The plug with diode(if that is what it is) was wrapped into the harness. This is the harness on the passenger side and the plug in the pic is for the TCU.

Any idea what these are for?

:cheers:

Thanks for the help. I had a good idea it was factory and had maybe something to do with the tranny. I also found a handfull of splices that looked like this.

Yep, that's duct tape covering a form of tube with a electrically fused splice. At first I thought it was from the PO but after finding them in the harness I just got from the JY, it is factory.

My dog tried to eat the original harness.

I once swapped a manual tranny for an auto in an 89 XJ. The mechanical side was a piece of cake, but splicing in the auto tranny controller was a bit trickier. So I finally got it all together and running and the bloody thing wouldn't shift! Ran great and would shift fine manually but wouldn't shift automatically. After a couple of days of troubleshooting I finally realized that the inline fuse in your picture was blown. Replaced it and problem solved! Shifted just fine. Without this fuse you have essentially a manual valve body, the transmission will hold in whatever gear you select. If I recall correctly some guys on NAXJA were wiring a switch in this circuit to give them full manual control at the flip of a switch for off-roading.

Your dog isn't a wire-haired terrier is it? :teehee: :yes:

LOL, no he is a mix. A little shepard, husky, akita, with a dash of chow. All in all a 90lb eating and pooping machine. He really doesn't just chew on things. There happen to be a rat inside the engine compartment. He was just moving things out of the way to get to him. Included vacuum lines, wiring harness, etc.. :D

Far as the factory fuse holder and other thing, I'll wrap them back up into the harness and be sure to go ahead and change that fuse.

I remember in the old days the wire outer insulation was impregnated with a rat/mouse poison to supposedly deter rodents feasting on the insulation. :eek: Prolly it's not done anymore now though........

That particular rat's chewing days are over. :D I set a big rat trap in the battery tray. Worked really good however that side of the engine compartment looks like a scene from a horror flick. :ack: