Big Ton Pkg w/Lift?

Has anyone ever put an AAL lift on their Big Ton/Metric Tonne?

Better yet, since the Big Ton pkg came with an extra leaf and beefier coils, does it sit higher than a stock MJ? I'm sure it's minimal if it does, but does anybody know?

I would definitely like having the extra payload capacity and if the coils and springs from a Big Ton were to add @1" over my stock setup, I could just throw some spacers up front and shackles on the rear to get @3" front/2-3" rear don't you think?

Has anyone ever put an AAL lift on their Big Ton/Metric Tonne?

Better yet, since the Big Ton pkg came with an extra leaf and beefier coils, does it sit higher than a stock MJ? I'm sure it's minimal if it does, but does anybody know?

I would definitely like having the extra payload capacity and if the coils and springs from a Big Ton were to add @1" over my stock setup, I could just throw some spacers up front and shackles on the rear to get @3" front/2-3" rear don't you think?

I can tell you that I replaced my standard duty leaf springs with new Metric Ton springs and gained a full 3" of lift. For the front I used new OME 3" coils. They did sag after about a year 1/2", so I compensated with a bit longer shackles since mine were due for replacement anyhow.

Don't think of the MTs as having an "extra" leaf, but rather being a completely different pack. My '86 MT doesn't look any higher than my '90 4x4 but I've never gotten out the measuring tape (which won't happen any time soon either since there's an engine block in the back of the MT and the 90 has a custom pack so nothing would be reliable).

New leafs will likely be different than junkyard leafs. All depends on the manufacturer.

Ok, so follow-up questions would be:

Hornbrod, where did you get NEW MT packs? And you're saying that they were std arch and gave you 3" of lift? Not doubting you, but don't you think that would be unlikely that back in the day when MJs rolled off the line that a MT sat 3" higher than non-MT trucks? Like Pete pointed out, which I hadn't thought of, it would seem more logical that since the pack probably has a different spring rating, Jeep was able to take some arch out and remain the same height. Otherwise, everybody on here would be fighting for MT suspensions for cheap lifts. Soooooooo, I suppose Horbrod is going to fill in the gaps on what I'm missing here.

And, a little sag in the back shouldn't be so bad to level it off w/the front :brows:

I got the metric ton springs here:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_spr ... eclub.html

They are made to the same specs as the originals, in fact they shipped me their OEM spring by mistake; the arch, leaf count, etc. was identical. I did not measure how far my stock leafs were sagged from the standard MJ height (axle to frame) before I installed the new springs, but with the new springs installed plus the new shackles I was a full 3" higher over the original height measured from the center of the wheel to the flare lip. If I was sagged about 1/2" as I suspect I was, total lift was 2-1/2". No less. Hope this clears it up......... :cheers:

I got the metric ton springs here:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_spr ... eclub.html

They are made to the same specs as the originals, in fact they shipped me their OEM spring by mistake; the arch, leaf count, etc. was identical. I did not measure how far my stock leafs were sagged from the standard MJ height (axle to frame) before I installed the new springs, but with the new springs installed plus the new shackles I was a full 3" higher over the original height measured from the center of the wheel to the flare lip. If I was sagged about 1/2" as I suspect I was, total lift was 2-1/2". No less. Hope this clears it up......... :cheers:

BTW, I got these springs back in 10/06. Specs are:

o Has the same specs as Jeep leaf spring part number 52003676

o Five leaf, three thinner top leafs and 2 heavier bottom leafs

o 1500 # rating

o 130 - 275 spring rate, 9-5/8" arch

o 26" x 31" x 5-leaf, 2-1/2" wide

The prices may now be lower or higher now. Joe (forget his last bame) is the guy to talk to.

Yes, that helps. Looks like a good deal, but something I'll probably do a little further down the road as mine OE's don't seem to be sagging too bad for now. Still might try to find a pack of MTs here or in the JY and do an AAL or shackles for a cheap lift/payload increase.

Yup, already talked to Jerry. Just exploring options for the back end before I head down to you for those spacers, ZJ coils and WJ LCAs with my (your) beer in hand! :brows:

I really want the added load capacity on the back, so that's how I got to thinking of killing two birds w/one stone on the Big Ton packs. That being said, next time you're at the JY keep an eye out for me and I'll add to the beer payments for a finders fee! :beerhead: :D

Yeah, figured the MT packs may be REAL hard to come by, but I'm patient :brows:

Guess I'd want the coils too for that matter, since they had a different load rating than stock too, but I've been thinking that's where your ZJ V8 coils may be awful similar in load rating don't you think? I mean between vehicle weight and the V8, can't be too different.

I've yet to see a MT in the 'yards down here....but I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Plenty of Dakota packs, tho, if you want to mix-n-match (?)

Yeah, I looked and looked down here and did find one MT MJ but the leafs were all sagged out. Just said the h#!! with it and got new packs.

Posted a search on automotix.net and already got a call. Guy said they were 4 leafs when I asked to confirm, then came back and said he had a 5 leaf pack too for $150 shipped. Didn't sound totally confident in what he was saying, plus I didn't clarify if that was for both packs. Just started looking, so like I said above, I'll be patient.

Hell, RC AALs are only $50 shipped from ole JC Whitney. That's probably the best, and cheapest (since they are new) short term solution. Ahhhh, the choices and decisions to be made on such a crucial aspect of my day to day life, ha! :laughin:

If you go the JC route, find something else you need there for another $25 (spend more than $75 total) and put in the discount code "SAVENOW" on checkout and get free shipping....

that's what I did ordering those RC shocks I just got. Was $12 shy of 75, so I added a set of towhooks for the TJ :D

I'd imagine shipping would be a few pennies, due to oversize, on those AAL's..

Jeff

Amazingly enough, shipping was only $9 +/-!! Couldn't believe it. Springs were $44.99 and w/shipping was $53 and change total. Oh, and don't know if it was a short term special or what, but you only have to order $50 of stuff for free shipping. Hmmmm, I hear a little devil on my shoulder whispering......"do it, do it, do it". $50 IS! friggin cheap for some quality AALs.

I did the AAL thing as a "short term" solution and believe me...I made the term as short as possible. I got the 3" springs from Hell Creek Suspensions and have been very happy, but...that is a fairly expensive option comparitively. Worth every penny to me though :D .

Brent, long term I want to do the same, and get the Big Ton rated packs from Hell Creek or from General Spring (like Hornbrod's). The reality is, I've been bitten by the bug so bad I can't wait so I'm willing to ride AALs for awhile (CHEAP solution as we all know), plus they'll give me a little payload help. Again, fortunately my rig is not a DD and will be on very few long trips so a stiffer ride is not a huge deal for now. I still haven't ruled out just going the shackle route either though.

Basically I guess you could say I'm just going down the same path as most owners by starting out with the economy lift. But even still, I don't intend on ever lifting more than 3", so I'll just want to end up with a quality long term setup with new packs.

But even still, I don't intend on ever lifting more than 3", so I'll just want to end up with a quality long term setup with new packs.

Famous last words. :D I said the same thing, and so far I've stuck to it, only because I've got to convert to 4WD before going any higher. But seriously, you might as well do it right now, 'cause you'll do it later and the AAL will be wasted $$. You will not be satisfied w. an AAL, it's a stopgap measure at best, like polishing a turd. New leaf packs now will save you $$ in the long run IF you plan on keeping your rig. Just my 2-cents. :cheers:

I usually approach things that way, i.e. be patient so when I do something, I do it right the first time. I've pointed out on here several times that I'm usually willing to pay a little more for things, but not "just because", but if I see value in it. Definitely a big believer in "do it right now or pay more later".

But all that goes out the window for now :laughin: because the MJ is as much a hobby as it is something to help me around the house, but I do want some kind of instant gratification. That being said, I can't justify spending anything that much on a lift right now when it's nothing more than for fun, there's just not enough cash left at the end of the month. And, there's other things that should be done with that money even if I end up spending it on the truck, like clean up what little rust I have before it becomes a lot. So, $50 or less vs. $300 to get the back end up, for now, is a no brainer.

Which brings me back to the beginning of my thread LOL! If I can find a set of MT packs for under $100, I won't have the issues of an AAL and should still get some lift and the payload increase I want, again, until I buy all new packs.

OR, just do shackles for a 3" front and 1.5" rear, ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...