Windshield Question

I was wondering if anyone has swapped the aluminum trim around the windshield for the rubber molding piece that could be found on the XJ. I've seen XJ's as early as '93 and '94 with the rubber piece. It is alot cleaner look I think, and I was interested in making the swap.

On the same note... it looks like you have to remove the windshield to install the rubber molding and I was looking for any advice on removing the windshield without breaking it. I needed to clean up some rust around it anyway and figured it would be a good time to make the switch...Thoughts?

window has to come out, and the window style has to be for the rubber piece...as far as I know, they part number for the windshield is different.

the rubber molded ones started in late 94. they're for the air bag deployment...when that happens, the window will bust out rather than holding it in and potentially causing damage to the driver.

don't even attempt to remove the windshield yourself. a first-timer should try it on something that's junk, and personally, I've had a couple windshields out and will always pay to have it done...around $100 bucks here to swap in a used windshield, that's including removing the one from the donor truck. $180 for a brand spanking new windshield.

I know it will work... I use to install glass, the reason the part numbers are different is because of the rear view mirror bracket button, take it to a local glass shop there they should be able to do a remove and replace. The place I worked for we would do it for $40 bucks, not to bad and easy.

If you get a good tech he can do it. when I pull windows that where already broke beyond repair I use to breack them and destroy the window to get them out. But if the tech takes their time and works slowly and smartly they can't take them out without breaking it. Some glass shops have a sawzall tool thing with a 3 or 4 inch blad the will cut the window form the urthane works slick as hell. If you you where close I would do it for you.

A buddy I know does this,, He has a reciprocating air tool that looks like a die grinder with a funky looking blade on it. The tool really just vibrates fast and cuts through the seal. He starts on one side in the upper part of the a-pillar then goes up from there, every 5 or so inches he slips these little wedges in between

the glass and body keeping the two separate. One thing he does first is uses a heat gun and warms the perimeter if the window up. He's pretty fast too, can can usually have a window out and back in in about 30 mins,, for around 40 bucks you providing the glass..

What is the chance that the are broken during removal.

$40 ain't bad eiither though! :D

I took mine off with a staight edge razor knife. Took a bit of elbow grease, but it came off in one piece. I decided to have a professional reinstall it for 100. He said that he ws shocked that the window was removed by me! He said that 90% of the time, the average joe installer breaks the window :roll: