Calling all roofers/constructors

jtdesigns

Anybody know some asphalt kinda stuff that peels and sticks?? I want to use it as sound deadener on my truck. And some kinda tar or asphalt that comes in a can/bucket that I could paint my fender wells with?

Thanks in advanced,,, jt

I agree with not using any kind of tar. The asphalt stuff you referred to is called a water and ice barrier. It is very plyable and has a peal and stick backing. You could use it, but it would be a pain to get back off and if water did get under it, it would rot your floor boards away. Probably wouldn't be to bad on the inside door panels and above the headliner.

Anybody know some asphalt kinda stuff that peels and sticks?? I want to use it as sound deadener on my truck. And some kinda tar or asphalt that comes in a can/bucket that I could paint my fender wells with?

Thanks in advanced,,, jt

I agree with not using any kind of tar. The asphalt stuff you referred to is called a water and ice barrier. It is very plyable and has a peal and stick backing. You could use it, but it would be a pain to get back off and if water did get under it, it would rot your floor boards away. Probably wouldn't be to bad on the inside door panels and above the headliner.

I found some stuff today at Lowes that I'm going to try out. It's a window flashing with aluminum/foil backing, and asphalt layer.. I'm going to stick it on my roof, also got some insulation. The insulation looks like a space blanket bonded to bubble wrap. The plan is to peel and stick the flashing up there for sound damping, and then glue the space blanket insulation next. The reason I'm doing this is I took my headliner out and it was pretty much scorched by the heat of the sun, plus a black truck so....

For the floor I'm going to buy some high density latex paint made for sound proofing and paint everything else with that. I looked for some por-15 all day and didnt find any, so I just got some brush on rustoleum paint primer for rust and rustoleum rust guard enamel paint. That should do me I'm in NC and don't have the problems as ppl up north do with rust. I figure the truck sat with a window open for a lil while and thats why I had the rust in the floor that I did. I found the weather guard but it had grit on the exposed side (looked like grip tape) and decided not to use it. The flashing I got is only 4" wide and 33" long so I got 3 rolls to start with. The weather guard stuff was 3' x 33' plenty enough, but the grit I didnt like. I looked while at Lowes and found some rubber roof coating that I bet will work for the fender wells. It only covered 15^ft for gallon though. It dried hard and non tacky so it may be something to consider.. When I'm done with my truck I want it sound like a benz on the inside.. No engine noise, road noise, and when I shut the door it'll be dead...

for sound deadening material use dynamat, it works amazing i did my whole show car in it and i have no road noise coming in and my music is about 15 times louder. the car is a 98 and it is just as quiet as my dads 07 bmw

you can get it at best buy or probably any car audio store

jamminz.gif

for sound deadening material use dynamat, it works amazing i did my whole show car in it and i have no road noise coming in and my music is about 15 times louder. the car is a 98 and it is just as quiet as my dads 07 bmw

jamminz.gif

Yeah I agree dynamat is the bomb, but at 270 buck for 36 ^ft vrs 27 bucks for 34^ft. I think this stuff is going to work out great!

jamminz.gif

Yeah I agree dynamat is the bomb, but at 270 buck for 36 ^ft vrs 27 bucks for 34^ft. I think this stuff is going to work out great!

just my 2 cents