Lis 86 Comanche Custom

You need to remove the funky overload springs and the air shocks.

Hopefully after that the springs won't be bent from the overload springs.

If they are bent pick up some used MJ springs and cut the spring eyes off of the old main leafs so you can use them as a full length add a leaf.

I would have to lose the hitch. It's mounts might work good for a 2"x6" tube bumper thou. :brows:

What are your goals for it? Tire size? Lift?

It looks like there's an oil leak that needs to get fixed. How does it run?

went to the junk yard today and bought new turn signal lights

16$

from the u pull n pay on Benoist Farms Rd?

yeah how did you know? they have a gray 4.0L Comanche there right now.. and 18 Cherokees

i don't really know what you just said about the springs but my goals for now is just to restore it. for the leak, its the power steering. i plan on looking at it later today.

i would love to have 35 inch tires on it. i don't know exactly how much of a lift i want yet. does anyone know how much clearance a stock Comanche has?

it runs, 4wd works, it has a death wobble at about 30 mph :( it stalls sometimes at first

yeah how did you know? they have a gray 4.0L Comanche there right now.. and 18 Cherokees

When i visit my parents, i always spend at least one morning down there. $16 sounded about right for the front turn signals with the 25% off coupon.

Right around Christmas, there was a MJ in great shape, clean bed with roll bar. When i went back three weeks later, it was gone; someone bought the back end, cut it off from the cab and hauled it away. Too bad the one that's there isn't in such good shape. If you haven't already, don't waste your time in the JY next door. They don't bother making rows making it tough to get to what little there was in there.

btw, nice looking MJ; like the color scheme. A 4x4 are tough enough to find down there, especially for the price you got it for.

don't be surprised when your "turn signals" don't blink. those are just side markers.

35" tires need somewhere around 7" of lift with no trimming, but can be fit as low as 3" of lift with trimming (alot). there though, you get into turning issues because in all honesty, you'll be hard pressed to find 35x10.50 tires, and anything wider won't let you turn if you stay low.

the shocks you have are air shocks, and actually are quite nice.

the "springs" he's talking about are the wierd shaped small ones above the top leaf. they'll wreck your leaf over time, and as the leaf sags, they can cut into the frame. so, ditch 'em cause they're crap.

and, you may want an engine upgrade...the 3.4 chevy from 91-94 camaro and firebird are a bolt-in swap. just swap over some parts from the 2.8 (oil pan, exhaust manifolds) and get the wiring and engine computer, and you can swap up to fuel injection. then though, you need an electric fuel pump...the 2.8 has one on the block.

Boilermaker- yeah that place is alright the comanche they got there aint to bad if you really want one to build up, its got nice red interior bucket seats and no visible rust.

JeepcoMJ- one of the turn lights blink, i think the one that was mostly broken got water in it and the wiring got old. i understand about the turning, but if you do it right and upgrade the power steering it can be done right, right?

ill get to taking the extras off the leafs as soon as i can.. thanks for the advice. and i will be looking for a Chevy to swap out. but that just is to big of a step for me right now. But i hope on doing it

upgraded power steering won't do a darned thing if the tires are too wide.

I'm saying the tires will rub the control arms and swaybar. i.e. you won't be able to turn.

sorry

also, 35's are not a good size for your axles. well, at least your rear. about 31" is the max if you intend the rear (dana 35) to last. some get lucky with bigger, but if you upgrade tire size you WILL have to accompany it with a heavier duty axle. same for engine upgrades, I destroyed the my dana 35 on an interstate trip with no abuse. we counted the teeth as they fell out. that axle had some prior injury...but if my engine (3.8 camaro) were smaller, the axle wouldn't have been a problem. btw, my truck was the same as yours when I started.

well, i was just hoping for 35. i guess i will be building in stages.. upgrade to a 44 later on does not sound to bad. the only reason i said to upgrade the power steering was i was looking at a ford ranger a little bit ago and it had over sized tires on it and it blew the power steering.. is what i was told by the dealer. what are your ideas on the death wobble?

i don't want to drive it till that is fixed

• 4 weeks later...

i don't really know what you just said about the springs

In this pic you can see the springs on top that are attached with the mini u-bolts to the spring below. The ones on top do not belong there and were likely added because the PO was doing a lof of towing/hauling with it. Probably why it has air shocks too. If you remove that overload springs and the factory ones are bent or sag real bad, you can do a simple fix by doing as he said and getting another set of Comanche springs to cut and add in to your pack for more support.

Image Not Found

alright, i really need help, i put the star rims back on and i was drivin along and i got the death wobble again... and i thought the tire was gunna break off

:headpop:

i don't know why these rims wobble and the other ones don't

i got them balanced today at the tire shop so i know its not that and with the other set of wheels it dident wobble at all

i really need a lift haha!

31 10.50 15 bfgoodrich TA KO on original rims

Rub

New lug nuts

i also started taking off the extra springs

and they reallllly don't want to come off

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

Some good rust solvent...let sit... then leverage...

we have all been there ...

trick ( take one nut all the way off then you have clean threads for the

next one or you will have to deal with the wobbleee u bolt.

NEAT idea with the painted wheels...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
alright, i really need help, i put the star rims back on and i was drivin along and i got the death wobble again... and i thought the tire was gunna break off

Make sure you have the right lug nuts. You need lug centric, not hub centric, lug nuts. In this pic it looks like you may have some hub centric lug nuts.

Image Not Found

Willy