Good old California Smog Check

fiatslug87

Just took my '88 in for its smog test, it's categorized in the "gross polluter" category so I have to take it to a Check Only Station (they can't do repairs) although this truck always tests below the average emissions. Well I find out that cars pre '97 must have another check performed (since 12/1/07) in addition to the dyno smog check. They pressurize the fuel tank with nitrogen and make sure the fuel evaporative system isn't leaking by measuring at the charcoal canister. I was kind of concerned because I never check all those lines and after 20 years I assumed some must have cracked. However, to my surprise and delight the sucker passed with flying colors!! How will they try to pull our older vehicles off the road next?

Just took my '88 in for its smog test, it's categorized in the "gross polluter" category so I have to take it to a Check Only Station (they can't do repairs) although this truck always tests below the average emissions. Well I find out that cars pre '97 must have another check performed (since 12/1/07) in addition to the dyno smog check. They pressurize the fuel tank with nitrogen and make sure the fuel evaporative system isn't leaking by measuring at the charcoal canister. I was kind of concerned because I never check all those lines and after 20 years I assumed some must have cracked. However, to my surprise and delight the sucker passed with flying colors!! How will they try to pull our older vehicles off the road next?

Another one of the several thousand reasons why I would never live in CA. :D Glad you passed the test though. :cheers:

When I got my 89 MJ, the previous owner didn't smog it before I dropped the cash and drove it home... it had passed in July (I purchased in Dec 07), so I wasn't too worried...I just took it to the Shell station down the street, $45 (or whatever I paid for the SMOG test) and 60 minutes later, I was smogged legal and on my way.

It's not that bad... at least we don't have full vehicle inspections like some area's back east...

SW2

Another one of the several thousand reasons why I would never live in CA. :D Glad you passed the test though. :cheers:

Believe it or not, Massachusetts is doing away with emitions on vehicles 1995 and older! I'm so excited. None of the vehicles I own are older than 1995. I know my MJ would FAIL an inspection :(