Clean slate

partsmj

New find.

1988 Comanche LWB, 4.0, BA10, 231, CAD Dana 30, Dana 35, 3.07.

What would be first?

Here is my plan.

Trying to keep it low buck.

Somewhat.

1. Lift it.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/m ... lderid=346

2. Gears, 4.88's

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/super35d/

3. Tires

http://www.intercotire.com/site28.php

Is this a good start?

Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks.

What size bogger? They're a tad on the heavy side... 33s would be the max I'd run. Wait, that'd kill the D35... Okay, 31s would be the max I'd run with a D35.

What I suggest:

Either decide you want to go big and be prepared to spend some coin

OR

Go fairly small. Shoot for 33's with the D30 front. Pick up an XJ/MJ D44 or Ford Explorer 8.8 (drum brake ones can be had dirt cheap) and ditch that D35. Decide if you want 4.10s or deeper gears, an 8.8 can be found with 4.10s easily to save dhalf the regearing cost. Spring over the rear (not hard as you're already swapping the axle) and get some 5" coils for the front. Get some longer LCAs and a track bar. 4 shocks. Get YJ front brake lines, dakota rear line. Call it quits.

It won't be optimal as the control arm angle will suck, same with the caster... But it would be cheaper and then you can decide if 33's are too small.

I can't argue against using the RE kit. They make high quality stuff and if you can afford it, I'm certain you'll be happy. :D

I went with 33s on my 88 rather than 35s because 33s fit better, are easier on the drivetrain, and work well with 4.10s. Don't forget to upgrade the shafts/Ujoints in the Dana 30 to the later model XJ units that use Dana 44 sized joints and delete the CAD. Also, if you go with 4.10s, it may be cheaper to get a 4.10 geared Dana 30 form the junkyard than to have yours regeared. Get one from a 96+ and get both the 4.10s and big joints in one purchase! :D (the big joints are found earlier than that in XJs that have ABS, but few 2.5Ls were paired with ABS and 2.5L are where you find the 4.10 gears).

What will be your trail-to-highway ratio? What types of terrain do you visit?

And you might want to research the AX-15 conversion.

Jeep on!

--Pete

First decide what your ultimate coil is. By this I mean a Daily driver / w/e trail rider, Or do I want a pretty mall crawler, or abused rock crawler?

Then decide on the tires and rims you want to run. This can add big bucks to your build, depending on the tires and rims you chose you choose.

After you decide rim and tire size, then its time to pick axles you want to run. ANything bigger then a 33" I strongly recommend different axle, especially if you plan on wheeling your rig. 37" or larger start looking at 1 ton axles.

Now its time for a lift. Pick a lift with a good reputation, and good customer service. Thats all I will say on liftt companies.

Now that you have a built rig it is time to put some ocupant protection in. Up till lat Nov I thought it was foolish to spend money on a cage and stuff like that. Now I wonder why I ever wheeled w/o one. Keep in mind my wheeling style might be different then yours, BUT I seen a stock TJ roll on a "poseing rock" in a level field.

Also don't do like I did, and slowly build your rig up. I am on my third lift kit, 3rd set of tires, I have been thru 3 rear axle so far, and 2 front. I am in the process of acquiring parts for my next build up. I am going D60's next front and rear, on 42" with H1 beadlocks. A lil drastic :? Yeah, but I don't like being denied cause don't have enough approach angle