Is this a good deal?

Twisty

So I had a lead on a pair of 1978 Ford D60s but that fell through because the front was bent.

I have since aquired a rear FF14b, but am still lacking a front axle. I found a 1979 F250 front D60 on craigslist for $750, and the seller said that the price is negotiable.

Here is the email that the seller sent me;

It's a recent take off/it has rust on it.I never drove the trk and it's so heavy it really can't be moved around to shake it out.I'm no being vague I just don't know on the king pins.I would recommend going right through it.Before driving it. ie... new fluid,pads,maybe re-cut the rotors,pull the hubs inspect and griese it etc.Yes I am willing to talk on the price,but only in peson.

I know there are a few people in here who know much more than me when it comes to 1 tons. Suggestions/comments/recomendations?

Decent deal. Any axle that old should be rebuilt anyways.

Oh definately. I saw a post on Pirate where the upper kingpin had stripped the threads on the inner C, and they guy had to get new ones from Dedenbear. I'm just worying about that. I plan to re-build it completely with new bearings/seals. I just don't want to have to spend $500 for inner Cs or knuckles (at least not now).

I think I'll give the seller a ringy ding tomorrow to see about picking it up.

Thanks guys.

Is this a good time for me to as what a kingpin is? Ive seen that term thrown around a bit.

sorry for hijacking :oops:

Instead of a more typical ball-joints to hold the knuckle on to the axle, king pins are used... They're basically a pin and a set of tapered roller bearings (like wheel bearings) that allow piviting movement, but nothing else.

Horrible explaination. But they're often said to be stronger. Which is fair enough, but a big ball joint is strong too (seen on newer D60s).

It's a good deal for the early HP D60. It probably has neckdown inner axleshafts FYI.

I think that I'll stick with some 37s to 38s with this axle. I'll only upgrade when I break (I drive like an old person).

I just called the seller, and it looks like I can pick it up tomorrow for $650 jamminz.gif

I'm quite ecstatic.

I want to start simple. 5.13s, spool, kingpin rebuild, hub rebuild, some form of hi-steer. I'll run 38s to start. I don't have a lead foot, so I think that the shafts will last me a while. I'll get alloys at some point though.

I also have a 14 bolt rear which will also get 5.13s and a detroit.

Before anything, I need to plate the MJ frame with angle iron. I also want to beef up the tracbar and steering box area. I expect to have these under the MJ in a year or two. 8)