How to ship a tailgate

mfpdm

If your remember I did a short write-up on shipping a rear slider window.Click here for that one

Well here is the second installment of How to ship... A Tailgate.

Used 1x4 pine wood to frame around the tailgate. First cut a grove in the wood so the bottom lip will set in to it and keep the tailgate from moving around.

Then put small 1x2 blocks on the same peice to hold the tailgate up so the lip would not get damaged.

Framed aroung the tailgate with 1x4. Attached cardboard strips to the top piece to add a little protection against the wood and also make it a snug fit.

Added 4 1x4 side supports. Bubble wrap on both sides.

Then some newspaper to help keep the cardboard's shape.

And finally, cover it with cardboard and tape it up real good.

Overall the extra packaging added between 5-10 lbs, but because of the size, it is charge cubic weight and should not impact the cost.

Now it is up to Fedex to get it there without damaging it. :D

Had thought about just wrapping it in cardboard but as you can see, this tailgate is in really good shape. Plus, it is no fun buying something, waiting for it to get there, and then showing up damaged. I know, I had two sets of half doors for my TJ show up damaged because they were just wrapped in cardboard. So I guess this has made me anal about packaging.

:cheers:

you can never be too anal about packaging.i have sold hundreds of items on ebay and can only remember 1 or 2 items that got damaged. i try to make my packages "bomb proof".yes,it takes longer and yes it is a pain in the *ss but it is worth it. my kid used to work for ups when he was in school and he said never mark anything "fragile" or "handle with care". these items so labelled become the warehouse "footballs" for the shipping morons.

Note to self " If I ever get something shipped by mfpdm not to worry about damage!" Nice job man. A little effort and thought goes along way. :cheers:

Thanks for the complement. :cheers:

Sometimes I over do it, but what the heck, I love using my power tools. :D