Third Brake light. Maybe?

So I've been searching for a good flush mount third brake light that would work with the MJ's. Most of them you would need to cut out a hole to fit them in or they just look wrong on the MJ. However I found a 90 something Nissan pickup today and pulled this.

Flush on the back.

Instead of a big hole, you would just need to drill two holes for the bolts and one for the wiring. I pulled the wiring all the way back to under the dash. I figured I could splice into the rear wiring harness just before it goes out of the cab behind the seat or run it all the way to the fusebox and tie in there.

What does everyone thing of this or the idea of a third brake light?

:cheers:

I have thought about this before also. I have thought about using a mid 90s GM truck one though. That way I could have a cargo light also.

That was my original goal, but I couldn't find one that was flush mount. Had seen a few after market ones with LED's but they were to pricey.

I have thought about this before also. I have thought about using a mid 90s GM truck one though. That way I could have a cargo light also.

That was my original goal, but I couldn't find one that was flush mount. Had seen a few after market ones with LED's but they were to pricey.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on FleaBay for the LED units. I just finished installing one on the back of my camper shell. The wiring for the 3rd brake light is a bit trickey. Because the MJ uses two bulbs in the tail lights for the brake light, and these same bulbs also are for the turn signals, the third brake light will will flash in time to the turn signals when you have the brake pedal depressed (unless your rig has the trailer tow option, which is already wired for an aux brake light ).

There are two ways around this. One is to get your 3rd brake light feed directly off the brake pedal switch before the wire goes up in the column to the multi-function switch, or use a logic module, $5.00 from JC Whitney. The module takes inputs from the left and right side brake light and provides a single wire output to the 3rd brake light. Could probably do the same thing with a couple of diodes.

That looks really good.. I couldn't use it because the cargo light would get in the way! :D

I still think a third brake light would be more useful then the cargo light though.

That's my opinion as well. Would rather have the improved safety over convience.

One is to get your 3rd brake light feed directly off the brake pedal switch before the wire goes up in the column to the multi-function switch

That is what I was thinking as well. Taping into the switch off the brake pedal would probably be the right route to take and is why I went to the trouble of pulling the wiring harness all the way under the dash.(cut the crap out of my hand too, as seen in the pic)

The only other problem I'm facing is if I go with my plans for a custom roll bar. Then I will have to move the third brake light to the back of it or to the tailgate.

Has anyone put one on their roll bar?

Well, I simply used the combination cargo/brake light set-up from a late model (98-00?) ranger. The good thing is, the light has the right curve to match the MJ roofline and uses a gaskt. The bad news is, you have to cut a pretty long hole in the sheet metal. I have also use the hatch mounted brake light from a97 and newer XJ in the roof. I also tapped the brake light switch both times for the light. The cargo light was simply connected using the factory wiring, and a factory switch put in the panel, but not marked as the cargo light (I an not find the correct switch panel).