Stay away from Toolots.com

big66440

I placed an order online for a sheet metal shrinker, stretcher on Saturday March 30th and decided to cancel the order within the hour after it was placed so I sent an email to the address provided on their website requesting a cancellation. I tried getting through to someone Monday and Tuesday (phone call) to confirm the cancellation and couldn't get through to anyone. I received an email Wednesday morning with a tracking number stating my item was ready to be picked up by the carrier, I called them again and this time I got through to someone and asked them to please cancel the order and not ship the item, long story short they denied both of those requests stating "the item has already shipped, if you'd like to return it please do so but we are going to charge you a 20% restocking fee". I argued with the operator telling her there's no way the item is in route if the tracking number is showing "awaiting to be picked up by carrier" as well as letting her know I requested for the order to be cancelled shortly after the purchase was completed by email and it turns out the email address on their website is no longer valid or in service. The item was shipped and when I received the order I quickly began a request to return the item, I argued with a few different people to see if they can waive the restocking fee and I even offered to drive the tool to their location so I can get my refund ASAP and again both requests were denied. They emailed me a prepaid return shipping label but it was written incorrectly, the "return to" address was MY home address, this was April 9th and I'm still waiting on them to send me the correct return label, I've called numerous times to remind them I need to send the tool back so I can get my refund and I keep getting the runaround and have even been hung up on by their customer service reps.It seems like this company has absolutely no desire to work with their customers, I've never dealt with such a difficult online seller. 

I bet they are just a 3rd party retailer that is drop shipping items from other companies. If I’m dealing with an unknown retailer and don’t know how the experience will be, I make sure to use a good card that has purchase protection so they cover any return/restocking fees if needed. Good to know they will at least ship the order though. 

I've run into similar frustrations ordering online. Once the ball is rolling there's generally no stopping it until it gets to your door. The shipper won't want to disturb their shipping process by running out, tracking down a single order in probably a very large stack of outgoing orders, risking delaying all the rest of their customers' orders. Your best bet is to refuse delivery when it shows up. You can usually do so with a note on your door if you won't be present, include the tracking number on it if you've got one. You may even be able to contact the courier and have it turned around before it gets to you.

There's no profit incentive on a return so they won't prioritize handling it for you. They also make interest on your money so the longer they have it the better, and probably lots of people will just give up fighting after a while, meaning they can keep your money. They can also win by delaying the process long enough it runs out your credit card's window for disputing transactions.

If the retailer screwed up and is stalling, your credit card company will usually work things out for you pretty quickly as soon as your dispute window opens. But you don't have much leverage if you placed an order, the retailer did everything correctly, and you're holding the thing you ordered. Disputing transactions exists to remedy shady behaviour from retailers, but unless the retailer made and broke specific promises in regards to cancellations or returns, the retailer has no obligation to accept a return or cancel an order just because you changed your mind on it. You might have some grounds if you followed their cancelation instructions and they didn't follow through, or they advised you to order the wrong thing.