Turn signals and wipers/spray not working

Hey guys, was working on the jeep (88 comanche base, manual 4.0 no cruise no tilt column) to get the front turn signal lights/ bulbs working and now my turn signals won't work. Emergency flashers work fine, and left turn signal stays on solid until I switch on the left turn signal. My windshield wipers and fluid spray doesn't work either. Had to replace the circuit breaker a while back with a 20A (looks like a huge fuse) from junkyard cherokee (worked perfectly until now) no blown fuses, no power to the turn signal fuse or the circuit breaker.. 

Lots of people talked on other threads about the bulbs and sockets, but I replaced those with new ones so I'm sure that's not the issue..

Any help is greatly appreciated!! 

Cheers

If you are talking about the windshield wipers circuit breaker, those are rated at 4.8 (most common) or 5.5 (less common) amps.  Replacing them with a 20 amp fuse could be asking for trouble.  Worst case scenario, you have snow or ice on your windshield that is impeding the wipers, you might burn the motor up before that fuse pops.

7 hours ago, schardein said:

If you are talking about the windshield wipers circuit breaker, those are rated at 4.8 (most common) or 5.5 (less common) amps.  Replacing them with a 20 amp fuse could be asking for trouble.  Worst case scenario, you have snow or ice on your windshield that is impeding the wipers, you might burn the motor up before that fuse pops.

Not exactly sure what the old circuit breaker was rated at, but the junkyard cherokee roughly the same year had the fuse in it so I guessed it shouldn't hurt too much (realizing the difference between a 4-5.5 amp circuit breaker and a 20A fuse...)

I'll be looking for a new circuit breaker for sure, any suggestions on where to find a replacement?

10 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

check that big wide flat connector at the base of the steering column first. 

Ok I assume you're talking about the big blue one on top of the column? Found this guy which seems to control the brights. The brown wire leading from it is spliced into two brown wires disappearing into the abyss of my wiring..

And side note: does anyone know where this little blue wire is supposed to go? 

Thanks Cruiser! Thanks all

20240404_151535.jpg

20240404_151606.jpg

48 minutes ago, Manche Man said:

And side note: does anyone know where this little blue wire is supposed to go?

C115_K to C260_A. Purpose: Disengage Torque Converter when BRAKE is depressed. Automatics only.

1543940333_C115EECTOIP.jpg.62e848c93cdbef62da524398a0a3fa0b.jpg

329299165_C260Cruise_TransSwitch.jpg.97f8aad5e59d95386bf1661fbfb366bb.jpg

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

C115_K to C260_A. Purpose: Disengage Torque Converter when BRAKE is depressed. Automatics only.

1543940333_C115EECTOIP.jpg.62e848c93cdbef62da524398a0a3fa0b.jpg

329299165_C260Cruise_TransSwitch.jpg.97f8aad5e59d95386bf1661fbfb366bb.jpg

Alright, any reason why the brown wire was spliced together? I'll snip the blue one to get it out of the way.

And I know what you're talking about now Cruiser, thanks for the link! When the weather clears up I'll get outside again and check the connections. I think I'll also drop the steering column (for the 4th time) and check anything else up there (Burnt/melted connections)

--Cheers

20 minutes ago, Manche Man said:

Alright, any reason why the brown wire was spliced together?

One side of the splice goes to the Headlamp Switch connector and the other side goes to the Headlamp Delay Module connector.

18 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

One side of the splice goes to the Headlamp Switch connector and the other side goes to the Headlamp Delay Module connector.

Alright, so in this case it would be beneficial to trace those wires and test them at either end? Also seal it up good instead of duct tape like the PO utilized

17 minutes ago, Manche Man said:

Alright, so in this case it would be beneficial to trace those wires and test them at either end?

Only if you're having problems with your Headlights (LO/HI) not working. Are you Headlamp Delay Module equipped? If so, do Headlights stay ON after KEY OFF? If YES, you're good. Wires are good.

10 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Only if you're having problems with your Headlights (LO/HI) not working. Are you Headlamp Delay Module equipped? If so, do Headlights stay ON after KEY OFF? If YES, you're good. Wires are good.

Yes they stay on after the car goes off. Same as brights, they work perfectly regardless of turn signal issues.

16 hours ago, Manche Man said:

Not exactly sure what the old circuit breaker was rated at, but the junkyard cherokee roughly the same year had the fuse in it so I guessed it shouldn't hurt too much (realizing the difference between a 4-5.5 amp circuit breaker and a 20A fuse...)

I'll be looking for a new circuit breaker for sure, any suggestions on where to find a replacement?

I have a handful of used originals. They are somewhat rough with bent terminals (common when drivers with long legs kick them) and/or corrosion on the case or terminals. But they all work and are better than a 20a fuse.  I can send you one if you want.  Pay shipping.

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I have a handful of used originals. They are somewhat rough with bent terminals (common when drivers with long legs kick them) and/or corrosion on the case or terminals. But they all work and are better than a 20a fuse.  I can send you one if you want.  Pay shipping.

That would be awesome! I could definitely use two at least! I have quite long legs and have to wear boots often so yes, these poor guys get kicked to pieces quite a lot.

4 hours ago, Manche Man said:

That would be awesome! I could definitely use two at least! I have quite long legs and have to wear boots often so yes, these poor guys get kicked to pieces quite a lot.

Msg sent

Alright! Got it figured out.

pulled out the volt meter and decided to test the BACK spades of the windshield wiper/turn signal 4.8 Amp circuit breaker connector. Got the magical 12 volts I wasn't getting when testing the FRONT of the spades. Turns out after jiggling it around a piece of the spade connection fell out, so the circuit breaker wasn't making a good connection. Cut it, wired up mew spade connections, plugged it in and presto! Used a zip tie to pin it up and away from the pedals and we are back in business!

Thanks all for your help! Hope this helps someone!

20240405_131946.jpg

20240405_131531.jpg

20240405_131459.jpg

20240405_124243.jpg