Installing ac in a non ac manche

Again I’m pretty sure this is yet another dumbass question but this is how you cure ignorance, with knowledge! No cure for stupidity tho. I digress, I’m puttin ac in my comanche build. It did not come with it. My question is will the ac condenser fit in the factory heater core box or do I need to pull tye one out of my donors? Reason is one has a crack in the bottom and the other is a pain to get in to take it out. Figured I’d ask you higher ups on the jeep pole. I’m changing out the condenser and cores while I’m there so know that much. Never installed ac before. My old muscle cars either had it when I got em or didn’t come with it….very few did. Wasn’t an issue in my youth but these texas summers will hurt an old man!

I’ll be doing the same to my non-ac comanche, don’t really need AC but it’s one of those “nice to have” options. My HVAC box was cracked when in took the interior apart so found a  donor HVAC box with the evaporator and the vacuum lines, just need the AC dash controls and the rest of the parts under the hood. Vintage Air sells a lot of XJ-specific parts (lines, condenser, fittings, dryer, compressor, etc), I may go that route so I can use the newer refrigerant  and for reliability with new parts. I’m re doing the whole interior so may as well have it ready for future AC, hopefully it isn’t too much hassle to add it later on. I may have to add a fuse and a relay, will look into it once i have the time to keep working on my 89. 

On 12/18/2023 at 1:04 AM, Elwiscon said:

I’ll be doing the same to my non-ac comanche, don’t really need AC but it’s one of those “nice to have” options. My HVAC box was cracked when in took the interior apart so found a  donor HVAC box with the evaporator and the vacuum lines, just need the AC dash controls and the rest of the parts under the hood. Vintage Air sells a lot of XJ-specific parts (lines, condenser, fittings, dryer, compressor, etc), I may go that route so I can use the newer refrigerant  and for reliability with new parts. I’m re doing the whole interior so may as well have it ready for future AC, hopefully it isn’t too much hassle to add it later on. I may have to add a fuse and a relay, will look into it once i have the time to keep working on my 89. 

Not sure where your at but I have a couple extra control modules your welcome to one if you want.

44 minutes ago, Warthog said:

Not sure where your at but I have a couple extra control modules your welcome to one if you want.

HVAC panel? I may be interested in a dash HAVC control with AC, do you have pictures? How much shipped to 81623? Thanks

I have one in an 87 and one in a 92. Il shoot you a pic tomorrow. Gonna pull the box out of the 92. But my comanche has an ac control just no ac box so to speak. Wouldn’t think it would be much. Do the priority mail box thing. As far as price really whatever you think is fair. I’m needy and not greedy. Gotta pull dash anyway so no extra work really.

21 hours ago, Warthog said:

I have one in an 87 and one in a 92. Il shoot you a pic tomorrow. Gonna pull the box out of the 92. But my comanche has an ac control just no ac box so to speak. Wouldn’t think it would be much. Do the priority mail box thing. As far as price really whatever you think is fair. I’m needy and not greedy. Gotta pull dash anyway so no extra work really.

Cool! Send a pic including the back connectors, I think i’ll take the 92 as the HVAC box came from a 91 Cherokee, my MJ is an 89.

1 hour ago, Elwiscon said:

Cool! Send a pic including the back connectors, I think i’ll take the 92 as the HVAC box came from a 91 Cherokee, my MJ is an 89.

Will do. It rained all day today. Just keep hitting me as I tend to have a very lax memory. Rolled an oil tanker in 08 so my short term memory is really short term