Building a HP44

I'll preface this with it's not going in a MJ, this will be for my WJ build but need some input on some axle building and y'all are a lot smarter here vs the other jeeps pages. I'm slowly gathering parts, currently I have the housing, truss, ARB, lockout hubs. Rest is TBD. The HP44 is the desirable one from 78-79 with 3" diameter and 1/2" tubes. I'll be running 37's and 4.88s. I will be doing the jana 50 conversion(using a d50 R&P), and also chromo shafts. I'm building it for a total adventure rig, need to be able to cruise down the highway right into the rocks to camp and home. My main questions are surrounding the outer bits. First question is for knuckles, I want to run a high steer right now my options are reids or a chevy knuckle that is machined. So Reids or chevy knuckle? I'm, leaning towards reids unless there is another option I'm missing. Second question, I'm seeing with the chevy knuckle is the 6 hole vs the standard ford 5. Does it really matter or is one a better option? Does it matter for brakes and such? Thanks!     

There are a few differences with Ford vs Chevy outers.  But it's easy to just go all in and choose one or the other.

There's really no strength advantage for the 5 vs 6 spindle bolts.  Other parts will fail before you break that.

Standard Ford was 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern while standard chevy was 6 on 5.5".  I don't remember how well the wheel hub interchanges.  It could possibly affect brakes.

I believe both had an 8 on 6.5" wheel hub option in the ¾ ton that is just a wheel hub and brake parts.  The knuckle and spindle don't change.

For me, I'd figure out the rear axle bolt pattern I want to run and then pick the knuckle and hub/brakes to get a matching bolt pattern up front.  If you do go with the ¾ ton 8 on 6.5" I'd lean towards chevy and do the JB7 brakes.  That gives you bigger rotor and calipers that were an option on the K20 in the 80s.

Cool, thank you for the info! Was looking at the tbird calipers that are a bolt in for the ford stuff for better braking. I have to get custom shafts regardless because the rear is a 35 spline 9" and I don't have any up front. So for the chevy outers does it have to be a 8x6.5 or will the JB7 work with a 6x5.5?  Problem for me might be the rear as I can't do a 8 lug on the 9. 

8 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Cool, thank you for the info! Was looking at the tbird calipers that are a bolt in for the ford stuff for better braking. I have to get custom shafts regardless because the rear is a 35 spline 9" and I don't have any up front. So for the chevy outers does it have to be a 8x6.5 or will the JB7 work with a 6x5.5?  Problem for me might be the rear as I can't do a 8 lug on the 9. 

You can piece together a 6 lug rotor to fit with the JB7 caliper.  I don't know part numbers but the K5 and full size Jeep crowd would probably have some suggestions. 

On 12/14/2023 at 2:37 AM, Smokeyyank said:

You can use the Chevy pattern with Waggy parts. That will give you 6x5.5. You can run the Wilwood D52’s:

https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/BrakeKitListFront?mincatdesc=D52 Front Caliper Kit

I ran those calipers on hydroboost with Waggy rotors and warn hubs. The braking power was exceptional and effortless. Awesome for wheeling.