AC install on a non-AC Comanche

I searched and couldn’t find a specific thread/topic, but has anyone been able to retrofit an AC system on their non-factory AC Comanche? I stripped out the whole interior to fix a floor pan and do some other work, the HVAC box was cracked so I got a used one with an AC evaporator off of a 96 XJ,  so I think I’ll be adding AC if it isn’t too much hassle, at least have everything AC-related  installed in the interior and eventually do the lines, dryer, compressor etc under the hood.Just don’t want to take the interior apart once I have it re-assembled. As far as I know i will need the climate control with the AC controls and the HVAC box with the evaporator, which I already have, just need to get a new evaporator. Aside from the obvious evaporator and HVAC panel what else needs to be done?, Do I need a new renix computer with the AC option? Any electrical components (relays, etc)? Has anyone done it? Jeepair.com have most if not all the under hood components individually but not as a kit. I don’t mind driving the Comanche without AC once I have it fixed but having AC will make it even more enjoyable. What would it take? Thanks 

Wiring harness, you will need the harness from a Renix era XJ/MJ. But I don't know much about what all the 4.0 wiring harness came with. I just know 2.5Ls don't have the harness present. Otherwise you don't need to go balls to the wall swapping stuff from one Jeep to the other. Just need the compressor, lines, dryer, HVAC box, control panel, condenser, evap, expansion valve for R134. You can reuse the old lines or have new ones made from the old lines.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wiring harness, you will need the harness from a Renix era XJ/MJ. But I don't know much about what all the 4.0 wiring harness came with. I just know 2.5Ls don't have the harness present. Otherwise you don't need to go balls to the wall swapping stuff from one Jeep to the other. Just need the compressor, lines, dryer, HVAC box, control panel, condenser, evap, expansion valve for R134. You can reuse the old lines or have new ones made from the old lines.

I’ll look at the electrical diagrams, hopefully i don’t need a complete harness, I don’t mind making my own harness/relay, unless there’s pre-existing wires. Where does the harness connect to? I sent an email to vintage air, they may have the lines, compressor etc. I think it’ll be better to get all those under the hood parts new instead of used from an older XJ. Thanks 

You won't need a complete engine harness or anything. There should be an empty plug, I think a 4 terminal weatherpack connector somewhere thats plugged off by a terminator connector. I don't know where it is on a 4.0L but I know its by the washer bottle on a 2.5L. But its simple to make a harness if you need to.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

You won't need a complete engine harness or anything. There should be an empty plug, I think a 4 terminal weatherpack connector somewhere thats plugged off by a terminator connector. I don't know where it is on a 4.0L but I know its by the washer bottle on a 2.5L. But its simple to make a harness if you need to.

I’ll be doing some custom wiring in the cab (grounds, future heated seats, bed lights, fog lights, powered subwoofer etc) so don’t I mind running additional wiring. I’ll look for the unused connector, now that you mentioned  I think i have seen a 2-wire connector near the washer bottle. 

That two wire is either the sensor for low washer fluid if it’s side by side. If it’s a T it’s for another washer pump. Like I said, I don’t know much about the 4.0. Others need to chime in on this. I just know more of the 2.5 and where stuff is there. Does your MJ already have an electric fan? And you should look at Renix XJ info as basically they’re both the same under the hood. 

41 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That two wire is either the sensor for low washer fluid if it’s side by side. If it’s a T it’s for another washer pump. Like I said, I don’t know much about the 4.0. Others need to chime in on this. I just know more of the 2.5 and where stuff is there. Does your MJ already have an electric fan? And you should look at Renix XJ info as basically they’re both the same under the hood. 

It doesn’t have an electric fan, I’ll be adding one in the future. Thanks for the info!