Time for a motor, Variances in the 2.5L

Well, after running a compression test. Turns out the original 2.5 is worn out. Worse than I originally anticipated. I have a few 2.5s laying around but have few questions. 

I have an 92 2.5 sitting on an engine stand. From what I have found, all 2.5 blocks are the same. I know there is a slight variation in the heads over the years, but still work on a TBI motor. The big question I have is the cam. The TBI models from what I’ve seen have a slightly bigger cam than the MPFI models. So with that, does the MPFI cam work fine in a 86 TBI? Or does it need swapped over? Are there any other variations that would need swapped over other than the normal stuff (Intake,flywheel,sensors,etc..)?

On 11/6/2023 at 5:53 AM, cruiser54 said:

Early 2.46s had a manual fuel pump on the block. That can be blocked off.

Your engine won't care which injection system you have or which cam you use. 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:17 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Flywheel you will need to swap. I don't know a lot about the HO year motors but I can’t imagine any issues with swapping a while HO motor to be with a Renix set up. 

What about water pumps? It’s been a while since I put one in on the 86. I started tearing down the 92 and noticed that it has a reverse water pump. Did all of them have reverse rotation? Or is it something that they did on the 91+ motors? I can’t remember for the life of me on if the 86 was reverse or not.