89 Pioneer | Project BlackHorse

This is posted on the JeepForum as well, I will probably only keep one of the posts completely up to date and cross post as necessary.

I bought my place in 2017 and requested the owners leave this 89 Pioneer on the property. It was running, barely when I closed on the property and I drove it around a bit. The brakes were almost non-existent, the windows are in shambles, and the ignition switch is jacked. So it got parked.

The bad: Rear window, ignition switch, drivers seat, passenger fixed window, wheels and tires, exhaust, minor body dings and dents, some light surface rust

The good: 4.0 Engine ran fine, AW4 tranny is good, 4wd works perfect, it would still roll with inflated tires so nothing is seized image.gif.0ddadbaa5f8d477eca37f73ae89670d7.gif,

I am unsure at the moment what I am going to do with it. First, I am getting the lost title replaced, luckily the neighbors are the kids and POA for the people we bought it from, so they are willing and helpful on that front. Second, I am getting some wheels/tires so I can at least roll the thing around. My tractor wasn't thrilled having to drag this outta the field image.gif.3340cff72ff022b4c3ad089140d3ce7f.gif. Third, I want to get it running and driving again, so, clean up the engine and fix up the brakes.

My options after that are.

Make it nice enough for a ranch truck. Wheels/tires, Windows, Brakes, general maintenance.

Somewhat restore it, but keep it mostly stock. All of #1, plus interior fixes, maybe a paint job, bed liner, inspection, registration, insurance.

A multi year full 97+ XJ swap, 6.0 litre LS swap, etc

AITFw-zKyxBb7rtbzInTHOAOqYf8ZCNgOWdVoRBWirmw2fERRu61A50o0KV3uqzh5eP7NiyTMS-K767nKYzc51mhv9312U8cpg=s1600AITFw-y-nsi1Dck-ANROz2C8DiBQxzhf1XFoIEEVbbSeNc_sd285WwIlkNHptn-RrfYWpm4-mro0r5u5-z1l9OdZVaX69aQx=s1600AITFw-ypho_gcGHnUlt0tbtGyyDXGWkJn-QngMDzyjJIuSk0FTYYkkzcn87czj3Va66qgJN_YUJfiFuclxu0eV5o_Aum1HKM=s1600AITFw-yp3xtSGrE1Tbu4d3MJqEKtBEZlCnYctYWH0lY7DvNWGLoUe59GPwRtCxjIN5ehsG633npbCAju4LoWgTRToGYuk9y_pg=s1600

These pics should give you a good idea about the rust situation. Anyone ever run brake pudding? Wonder if that viscosity is an issue.

I hooked up a small battery and jump pack to crank it over, cranks fine. Has a small oil leak from drain plug, oil didn't look terrible. No water, so that's a plus.

Nice Mt. Dew heat shielding 😆

Oh yea, one thing I forgot, bad news, Dana 35 rear end.

uc?export=view&id=1AWMBCj45r2lAtK_2nRy0DYJGMLaqr0mjuc?export=view&id=1AADKP-buOF8MzrJDyYuOlWJ0kFJq0nYVuc?export=view&id=1AK6oukY_BsLwB2_35-IFZxLlzKmfRGpVuc?export=view&id=1AS65N3ggD6H0-7gvzgtDcC_1C1rv_s_x

Engine Crank Vid

Got the wiring fixed and learned that 7 volts with the key on is normal for priming the pump, and when it's running it gets 12v. Good news.

Bad news, I found the rust 🫣.

uc?export=view&id=1Fyy81lOeRkCQDKXi6778l8-lUK3wI4f0

uc?export=view&id=1G2WyhakRRyn2nfFgcwKn4CeeEZ0SxrJI

Tank and fuel pump/sending unit ordered. Should be here this week and I think she'll be running.

Looking for some factory Jeep alloys that will bolt on/fit without any modification. I like some of the factory 16 inch wheels but am not finding much in my local used market.

Have you ever watched a high mileage engine teardown and they say oh, this engine didn't receive much love or maintenance....  🙄

uc?export=view&id=1PSOhgX40bDe1eY0G9EhB_e90jIHZ6WYi

uc?export=view&id=1PRFiN-OP-BHZFYpYvjjNZ7QO3fCWUjT0

This poor poor thing. Every rocker is super loose and the amount of sludge is abhorrent. I think I'd have to fill it with diesel and run it for 5 minutes to even make a mark (which I may do depending on how much a valve cover gasket is).

On the brighter side, I pulled up the passenger carpet and it looks pretty good. Some surface rust as to be expected. Def not going to be replacing the floors.

uc?export=view&id=1PQyY2N_7iykTxojX4n0jvo-mJ1Y_cPTE

I thought I had a line on a nice 97 XJ with mild front end damage that I was going to use as the swap but it might be falling through.

Fairly confident I am going to go with the stroker build 97+ XJ swap.

I put a little over a quart of diesel in the crack case after I cleaned the valve cover and have been running it for a couple of minutes at a time. She already sounds amazing!

Pretty sure I need a new oil pressure sensor cause that is the only gauge not working.

Also officially going to have to replace brake MC and booster, I can't get anything outta them.