EURO Side Repeater Lights

I used these lights below. They are made by Hella (p/n  161949117) and are the same as those the 1985-1992 VW Jetta 2's and Audis use. Since I wanted them in the same location as the Export XJs, I selected these because they were similar in appearance to the Export XJ side repeaters and the size was nearly a perfect match.

542f82099b8c10afcea251686b7d7d42.jpg

They only require two round holes (7/8" and 5/16") to mount. I used a chassis punch for the large hole, then drilled the smaller hole.

6309136d36394afdbabdb3a65561439d.jpg

I made up two 4' 2-wire harnesses and ran the wires out through existing holes in the inner fender and out the large hole in the outer fender. I popped the fender liner loose at the top to fish the wires through.

1c662183b2bbe688c9f7f00ea739b87b.jpg

Wires connected to the bulb holder using spade connectors through a rubber boot. Do a smoke test first, then pop the lamp into the holes. It uses a plastic pressure arm to latch in. To change bulbs you slip a stout feeler gauge under the lamp and push in to release the assembly.

aee497a37de2552dde66c873c1281d19.jpg

Then run the wires along the inner fender in the engine compartment out through the front corner light hole, and parallel the connections.

59b32889cbd7e8683fd02f8f05813b0c.jpg

The side markers act as running lights when the parking or headlights are on, and of course flash as turn signal repeaters.

91d7e584ea13a97297f3133f2f9e94c1.jpg

Looking good!! :thumbsup: Do the corner lights flash with the turn signals? I don't think mine flash.. I may be wrong though.

Yes, the corners alternate flashing with the parking lights. I think this started with the 1991 models. There is a writeup somewhere on how to do this; I'll try to find it.

Looking good!! :thumbsup: Do the corner lights flash with the turn signals? I don't think mine flash.. I may be wrong though.

Yes, the corners alternate flashing with the parking lights. I think this started with the 1991 models. There is a writeup somewhere on how to do this; I'll try to find it.

The writeup for this is in the Electrical section of here:

http://www.madxj.com/

• 7 months later...