WTB 1984-90 ignition lock cylinder keyed for J code keys. NC

JeffK

Iso good used or new OE or Mopar ignition lock cylinder. For 84-90 XJ or MJ. Keyed for Jeep, AMC 'or GM J' code keys. Only looking for the ignition cylinder with keys. Aftermarket works but I'm trying to keep my keys Jeep or AMC. 

square-head-j-code-blank-gm-key.jpg

53 minutes ago, JolietJEEP'84 said:

You can always go aftermarket and then find some blank AMC/Jeep/Chrysler keys and have the aftermarket keys copied on the AMC/Jeep/Chrysler blanks...

I appreciate the reply. Ive been down this rabbit hole for the last 2 days and I'm now Google educated on GM keys. AMC/Jeep only used the 'J' key cylinders. All AMC/Jeep and aftermarket key blanks are only available in 'J'. All current replacement aftermarket key cylinders use the most popular GM 'A' key, which is not available with the AMC/Jeep logo. Also GM 'A' key cylinders cannot be re keyed to use 'J' keys. 

Probably shouldn't be this particular, but since all 3 sets of keys for my truck have managed to grow legs and walk away over the past couple of years, I figured I'd replace them with what I want. 

The scenario I initially described is exactly what I did with my Jeep. I used a crown automotive lock cylinder and had NOS AMC Jeep keys (j) copied from the aftermarket key.  I get where you're coming from but I think you are overthinking it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just listed a bunch of blanks (door and ignition) on the For Sale board.  I know my ‘86 has a replacement ignition cylinder from NAPA.  The package and old ignition was in the glove box when I bought the vehicle and these “J” blanks fit perfect.  It’s a GM style cylinder.  It has a small bolt holding it in.  The ‘92 column I listed has a spring loaded tab for retention of the cylinder.  Otherwise I believe the columns are the same internally.