Repairs and more problems...

Bear with me now - I'm not a mechanic, but I'm learning. I've been plugging away at my 2.8 trying to get this thing to pass Virginia Emissions.

I started by installing a brand new Cat since previous owner removed it. This made the truck run 100% better, but I failed emissions with high NOx with other readings very low.

So I did a minor tune-up. New Cap, Rotor, Plugs, PCV (They were all very bad - probably original with over 110k.) Adjusted the timing which was about 3 degrees retarded according to the Catalyst label. This made the truck run and start great - even better than before. Took it in for a retest today, and it failed again with even higher levels of NOx - all other readings were nearly zero.

The tesing guy said it could be an EGR problem, so I decided to tackle the EGR valve replacement tonight. As I tore into it, I found the line to the EGR valve was disconnected completely. I went ahead with the replacement and connected that line. I also found another small line that was rotten and hanging from the PCV system I never noticed before. I fabricated a new line and connected it to a nearby electrical/vaccum thingamajig that was clearly missing a hose.

The good news is that the truck started and ran, but with an extremely low idle. Driving it around is fine - the idle is just very, very low - almost stalling. Could a vaccuum leak cause a high idle? I'm wondering if the previous owners might have backed the idle down when this stuff was not connected and leaking, and I should just bring it up, or look for another problem. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

yes a vacum leak could cause a high idle and that could have been "fixed" by adjusting the idle screw. best thing to do is go through all of the vacume lines and replace everything

yeah, i did exactly what 86 said when i lost vacuum, wasn't thinkin and just backed it down manually... then i found my vacuum leak and was stalling out lol. stupid thing to do really :oops: