running RICH $$$$

Anyway to test a knock sensor without a oscillator scope. I tried banging the block with a wrench but didn't change the idle. My exhaust smells really rich, and the knock sensor plastic is cracked. I tried to glue it back together but didn't hold, so I slid the connector (looks like injector plug) back on with no change. What cause a rich mixture so I can trouble shoot some more???

How does the knock sensor work anyways?? theres only 2 prongs, how does it "hear"?

The knock sensor doesn't have much effect on gas mileage, if any. And it won't change the idle speed enough for that to tell you if it works. You need two people -- you have to clean up the timing marks on the front of the engine and harmonic damper (yes, even though timing is not adjustable, the old marks are still there). Put a timing light on it, see where the mark is when idling, then watch to see if the mark jumps when you hit the block.

My guess is that you probably need an oxygen sensor.

Could be the injectors are getting clogged (can of 44K by BG's fixed mine up but it's expen$ive!) Knock sensor is essentially a microphone than makes a signal when it hears certain pitches of noise in the range of engine knock (internal engine noises like clacking lifters can trigger it too)

When there is a signal, the timing is retarded and slowly advances till it hears it again and "learns" where that point is and adjusts timing around it.