Project Rattlecan

That's the way to do it! Unless you have so much money it's burning a hole in your pocket lol.

I'm pretty stoked on the wheels. $300 got me the 4 turbines with 80% tread M/T's. Guy just wanted them gone and I was more than happy to oblige haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More fun stuff!

PXL_20230513_150138319.jpg.5ae63d0e02770847a02cbc115aacb1b4.jpgPXL_20230513_163432201.jpg.ac6b2063e7679d16c2feb45f047c2970.jpgPXL_20230513_210307384.jpg.8d8444f3233025a81c566e4cef8a81d8.jpgPXL_20230513_210312714.jpg.61d6570f232ded53087419600ada70b2.jpgPXL_20230513_210257107.jpg.4967e136f3f397c0d71bc2acaad0dbd9.jpgPXL_20230513_210302555.jpg.cc0af202aedc8a4f101ea0fb8dea9a02.jpgPXL_20230513_221447526.jpg.13b0746f3fd23fdc6ba267e00359dd8e.jpgPXL_20230514_181248051.jpg.f061cba733e56585563055734143ebe6.jpgPXL_20230513_223217645.jpg.899ea5d7f01f335c3778907d3d9b6e2e.jpg

I was sick of the little 4 cylinder puking oil everywhere. It looked like it was mostly coming from the front crank seal on the timing cover but I decided to re seal everything else while I was at it.

Cleaned up and painted the oil pan and timing cover. Resealed timing cover, new crank seal, new pan gasket, and new aluminum valve cover and gasket :brows:

HIGHLY recommend the aluminum valve cover over the plastic one if you can find one for the 2.5L. I've had 2 different OEM plastic ones with multiple different seals and they have always leaked. So far I've had not one drop of oil come out from the aluminum cover with the felpro metal/rubber gasket. So I'm pretty stoked about that.

Gave the engine block a good ol' craigslist "rebuild" aka brake cleaned and spray painted black :laugh:

So far no leaks at ALL and the engine looks good with most parts clean and painted. Only other seal I'd like to eventually replace is the rear main seal but that'll have to be if ever take out the tranny any time soon.

PXL_20230513_223212785.jpg

Looks great. Cleaned up nice. I’ve always been a fan of the aluminum covers over stamped or plastic. The Relay center cover will help with hiding the mess of wires on the passenger fender as well.

Do you happen to know what that aluminum valve cover comes off of or have the P#? Thanks 

18 minutes ago, WranglerMangler said:

Looks great. Cleaned up nice. I’ve always been a fan of the aluminum covers over stamped or plastic. The Relay center cover will help with hiding the mess of wires on the passenger fender as well.

Do you happen to know what that aluminum valve cover comes off of or have the P#? Thanks 

Thanks man! I actually have the relay cover but I'm missing the clips. Been keeping my eye out for them when at the scrap yard but have had no luck.

I'll see if I can find a part number on it but from everything I've researched they mostly come from 4 cylinder YJ's and late model 4 cylinder TJ's. I found mine on ebay for $50 with the hardware. Couldn't believe it was that price compared to the others on there asking around $120. Just waited for a good deal and got lucky I guess!

1 hour ago, AverageJoe10 said:

Thanks man! I actually have the relay cover but I'm missing the clips. Been keeping my eye out for them when at the scrap yard but have had no luck.

I'll see if I can find a part number on it but from everything I've researched they mostly come from 4 cylinder YJ's and late model 4 cylinder TJ's. I found mine on ebay for $50 with the hardware. Couldn't believe it was that price compared to the others on there asking around $120. Just waited for a good deal and got lucky I guess!

My Wife has a ‘98 2.5L TJ and it has the aluminum Valve cover. Was wondering if they had the same “bolt pattern”

It took me years to actually find the clips on a junkyard rig. Good luck probably best bet would be like EBay 

2 minutes ago, WranglerMangler said:

AMC logo 

Really? Those are the good plastic ones. The ones crown make are perfect to hold hardware in and thats about it. Well don't throw it away, if you do, ill give it a good home.

Also 94-00 for the Aluminum cover. Good year range. I think I am on the trail of a mechanical cooling fan upgrade for the 2.5L

10 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Did your plastic cover have the AMC logo or did it feel like a cheap flexible plastic?

metal valve cover 53010428->53010428AB=>05093783AA->

Amc logo. The first one I had the bolt holes on the driver side snapped off when I was torquing the bolts down. It was frustrating because i believe I was not even at 40 in/lbs when they snapped. Granted the cover looked like it had been through many heat cycles and was probably getting brittle. 2nd valve cover I got I set 2 different gaskets on it and it leaked both times. First gasket I put on was the rubber one without rtv. Second one was another rubber gasket with rtv generously applied to both sides and it still leaked :doh:

I'm sure that they should seal up just fine but for whatever reason I was having no luck with them. 

10 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Really? Those are the good plastic ones. The ones crown make are perfect to hold hardware in and thats about it. Well don't throw it away, if you do, ill give it a good home.

Also 94-00 for the Aluminum cover. Good year range. I think I am on the trail of a mechanical cooling fan upgrade for the 2.5L

Yeah, it’s yours if you want it EagleScout. I just recently threw a 7 blade fan on the wife’s TJ as a mechanical fan upgrade. Try to ditch all the 5 blade fans. 

9 minutes ago, WranglerMangler said:

Yeah, it’s yours if you want it EagleScout. I just recently threw a 7 blade fan on the wife’s TJ as a mechanical fan upgrade. Try to ditch all the 5 blade fans. 

I saw that on a later XJ last night. Looks like a good upgrade for Renix 2.5Ls. 

26 minutes ago, AverageJoe10 said:

Amc logo. The first one I had the bolt holes on the driver side snapped off when I was torquing the bolts down. It was frustrating because i believe I was not even at 40 in/lbs when they snapped. Granted the cover looked like it had been through many heat cycles and was probably getting brittle. 2nd valve cover I got I set 2 different gaskets on it and it leaked both times. First gasket I put on was the rubber one without rtv. Second one was another rubber gasket with rtv generously applied to both sides and it still leaked :doh:

I'm sure that they should seal up just fine but for whatever reason I was having no luck with them. 

Huh. Interesting. I mean I had one crack from service and looks like someone had tightened it down too hard at one point. But that’s about it. I’ve had good luck with mine. 

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Huh. Interesting. I mean I had one crack from service and looks like someone had tightened it down too hard at one point. But that’s about it. I’ve had good luck with mine. 

It's totally possible the first cover that broke, the original owner had overtightened the bolts at some point causing stress fractures. Unfortunately I would have no way of knowing as I bought it online. 

Finally got around to some fun stuff on the ol' girl.

PXL_20230514_181206000.jpg.5e4d2543fee31a070893b249e04207f7.jpgPXL_20230514_181153436.jpg.c9f04545a6eb9c2440c7abaa13c790aa.jpgPXL_20230514_181229069.jpg.ef7b68ee1dec0b33ddf12a2b71485f63.jpgPXL_20230514_181235173.jpg.52b4fdf87b4396e7e826dbb812e344e0.jpgPXL_20230520_010807049.jpg.df3fec6e2e3461658de3f5f8cabbf04b.jpg

Installed a 3" Rough Country lift on her! Kit came with 4 new shocks, 2 new front coil springs, and 2 add a leaf rear springs. While I was there I also put on some knock-off front upper and lower control arms on as well. Tops are adjustable, lowers are not. Still have to play with the top adjusters as my caster is way too high at the moment and the front axle looks goofy :roflmao:

I'm also SUPER impressed when I was removing all the old suspension components/hardware, everything and I mean EVERYTHING came out no problem. I mean this thing has a very clean rust-free underside and I am very thankful for that.

PXL_20230514_181242052.jpg.cc94ae8ad733e60ecc4ef2063e6c8d0b.jpg

I also installed new upper control arm bushings that press into the front axle and installed a RC adjustable track bar with a drop down bracket that I bought off a dude on Facebook, brand new still in the box for half the price of a new one. Score! :brows:

Before lift....

PXL_20230513_150131894.jpg.763275ce63c87c965abfd2e2eb0a56c0.jpg

And after w/ 31" M/T tires mounted on those beautiful turbines.....

PXL_20230514_192214870.jpg.ba9e23f278afd7f94864ebefc3cd811b.jpgPXL_20230514_192223243.jpg.f05897c90b31848f093ae91f109f0e6c.jpg

Wow! Can't believe with just a small lift, slightly bigger tires on some turbines change the look of this truck so nicely.

I am SO happy with the look already and I have so much more planned for this jeep but dang, I gotta say this thing already looks a ton better rolling down the pavement :beerbang:

I've already had a few guys flag me down on the street since the lift, complementing the old jeep truck with smiles on there faces. Super cool!  

Picked up a rear Dana 44 w/ disc brakes out of a grand Cherokee.

PXL_20230516_235810728.jpg.abc5bbc2afc274781a34a45f8881f268.jpg

3.73 gears too so it'll match the gearing of the front axle that I put in for the 4wd conversion.

Cut and sanded her down....

PXL_20230519_011650618.jpg.82835752af1c378d4b373c2320cfc87a.jpgPXL_20230519_011648079.jpg.2044d23eb48f034007e871e3bcfff62d.jpg

Then I mocked her up with new perches, tack welded while suspension was loaded on ground, pulled the axle back out and finished welding the perches :beerbang:

PXL_20230520_010757940.jpg.db5d3f6ce40fdd7158af88dca4f0fc09.jpgPXL_20230520_010800893.jpg.f08541363f92375d75acb54b2e0df60f.jpgPXL_20230520_010803440.jpg.140c5b09013bf9232cc9c1145a7393d4.jpg

I still have to rebuild the brakes on this as they are very rusted but that shouldn't take too long. I have the original hard brake lines and calipers too, that I'll install once cleaned up :L:

Excited to installed it and get rid of the wimpy Dana 35. I have no desire to put any money into the current rear end. 

It'll also be a bonus to go from 3.55 to 3.73 gears :brows:

Your truck has made quite the transformation in fairly quick time. New lift and tires look great. I’d definitely do some more research into that D44A. I was thinking about putting one underneath the CommuteChe but decided against. Even in a 2wd.  I’ve heard good and bad things about them so really, who knows. Lol. You could possibly run that thing forever with no problems. Maybe suggest a truss for extra support? EagleScout might have more insight on the topic since he immediately spotted it out. 

1 hour ago, WranglerMangler said:

EagleScout might have more insight on the topic since he immediately spotted it out. 

Well I remember Eagle talking about how it’s not much of an upgrade say over the D35, what bottles me is an axle made out of aluminum. That being said I’m not here to bash one’s choice. It’s just one of those things that struck me as a concern but I can’t imagine it will be put through wheeling hell to where it will break on the trail vs a regular D44. But it does have a disc upgrade so that’s something. Hey if the price is right, I’m not gonna knock it at all. Run it till it doesn’t you know. 

Again just a concern not a bash on one’s choice is all. Just looking out for everyone. 

Your truck has made quite the transformation in fairly quick time. New lift and tires look great. I’d definitely do some more research into that D44A. I was thinking about putting one underneath the CommuteChe but decided against. Even in a 2wd.  I’ve heard good and bad things about them so really, who knows. Lol. You could possibly run that thing forever with no problems. Maybe suggest a truss for extra support? EagleScout might have more insight on the topic since he immediately spotted it out. 

Thanks man! I'm excited to how it's already turning out. 

As for the axle, like you said maybe I'll need trussing something in. But we'll see.

22 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well I remember Eagle talking about how it’s not much of an upgrade say over the D35, what bottles me is an axle made out of aluminum. That being said I’m not here to bash one’s choice. It’s just one of those things that struck me as a concern but I can’t imagine it will be put through wheeling hell to where it will break on the trail vs a regular D44. But it does have a disc upgrade so that’s something. Hey if the price is right, I’m not gonna knock it at all. Run it till it doesn’t you know. 

Again just a concern not a bash on one’s choice is all. Just looking out for everyone. 

I appreciate that advice. To be completely honest I didn't know they were looked down on so much. But hey since I already have it all mocked up I'm just going to run it and see what happens.

I'm safe on a couple of accounts, one being 31s is the biggest I'm going with tires and two being I have no desire to wheel this thing hard. I want it for more of exploration and mild dirt trails so I can't imagine braking the axle in some way but that doesn't mean it can't happen :dunno:

Like I said I'm just going to run the setup and if I have issues with it I'll excess once I cross that bridge! :L:

9 hours ago, AverageJoe10 said:

Thanks man! I'm excited to how it's already turning out. 

As for the axle, like you said maybe I'll need trussing something in. But we'll see.

I appreciate that advice. To be completely honest I didn't know they were looked down on so much. But hey since I already have it all mocked up I'm just going to run it and see what happens.

I'm safe on a couple of accounts, one being 31s is the biggest I'm going with tires and two being I have no desire to wheel this thing hard. I want it for more of exploration and mild dirt trails so I can't imagine braking the axle in some way but that doesn't mean it can't happen :dunno:

Like I said I'm just going to run the setup and if I have issues with it I'll excess once I cross that bridge! :L:

I’m right there with EagleScout, not bashing your decision and hope it lasts you forever. I was planning on doing the same thing with a 44A but found this XJ 44 first. Can always swap parts over fairly easily if a problem comes up. I’ve read they can bend by jacking the truck up off the center section. But I’ve also read people beat them with 33s and have no issues. Send It!! Keep up the great work.

I’m jealous of your shop too btw. Looks like your work but even that you have access to it. Better than laying in the muddy grass and chicken crap. 

Side note, maybe we should have a D44A strength test. I’ve got a truck that will break one if possible. Could start with 31s move to 33s then 35s. Might be an interesting test.  Would be even more interesting getting the truck off the trail with a folded in half rear diff. I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap one locally. 

I’m jealous of your shop too btw. Looks like your work but even that you have access to it. Better than laying in the muddy grass and chicken crap. 

I'm definitely lucky enough to have a cool boss who lets me use the shop I work at, to tinker with my own toys on the weekend :banana:

Side note, maybe we should have a D44A strength test. I’ve got a truck that will break one if possible. Could start with 31s move to 33s then 35s. Might be an interesting test.  Would be even more interesting getting the truck off the trail with a folded in half rear diff. I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap one locally. 

I like the way you think! Would be nice to actually see some results from hard abuse, where failure points happen, how long it last, etc.

I've researched more into it and apparently they are common for spun pinion bearings and bent axle tubes.

I used to work at a gear shop and we used to have a method for spun bearings. Maybe if that happens to mine I can try that old method. Also trussing because of the weak center point for that matter too. :dunno:

Regardless I'm definitely gonna give her a go and see how she holds up. Ain't no harm in that! :L:

6 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

maybe we should have a D44A strength test.

In my WJ I have one. I'm on 32s, with a lunchbox and the HO V8. I haven't had any problems and I've smoked the tires on a few occasions. While I don't think it's the "best" axle I don't think it's crap. Definitely a step up from a turdy5 which still isn't saying a lot. 

6 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

In my WJ I have one. I'm on 32s, with a lunchbox and the HO V8. I haven't had any problems and I've smoked the tires on a few occasions. While I don't think it's the "best" axle I don't think it's crap. Definitely a step up from a turdy5 which still isn't saying a lot. 

So your saying to start the abuse test at 33” tires because we know they are able to handle 32”s?