Windshield trim

Out of my 3 Jeeps, two have aluminum trim pieces around the windshield and one (95 XJ) has a rectangular rubber gasket trim piece. I like the rubber gasket better as it's never fallen off, needed to be taped on at the car wash, etc.

Our 89 MJ needs a new windshield and I'm curious if the windshield trim can be "upgraded" to the rubber gasket or whether I need to live with the aluminum windshield trim? If I need to stick with the aluminum windshield trim, does anyone know offhand if windshield replacement technicians will replace the broken clips or if that is beyond what they will normally do. I'm willing to pay the windshield replacement company a few extra dollars to either swap to the rubber gasket or to replace the broken clips for the aluminum trim.

starting in 97 all cherokees got the rubber gasket. :L:  the window frame and glass never changed so the swap is straight forward (with the slight caveat that some guys have said they needed to trim the clips off, but others didn't.  my guess is there's a difference in manufactures of that rubber trim, but that's just a guess.  :dunno:)

be sure to remove your aluminum carefully, as I'm sure someone will need it.  :L: 

I picked up the glass and trim at my local glass shop and the rubber gasket was from PRP. I trimmed out the metal studs for the clips in my window frame but with proper alignment of the windshield you would have to. I just didn’t want any extra metal that could rust lol

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this topic. Got the new windshield yesterday. I asked for and Safelite did put on the rubber gasket around the windshield. I asked them to save the aluminum trim pieces for me so I still have those. $291 out the door. Ordered a new rear-view mirror that will be here this weekend. My 1 year old enjoyed going with me and getting his first ride in the Comanche. Nice to have glass that isn't broken.

291063391_2023-02-09oldwindshield.jpg.148bc50382a8728df5ed1dd88f985a3d.jpg

112642751_2023-02-09newwindshield.jpg.92b895c68a4bc59092336bfcb36e2a62.jpg