whining

i have a similar sound but is more prominent at low rpms, however it is still there throughout the rpm range. i am not sure if it is the water pump or idler pulley, or something else. at first i tried belt conditioner just to see if i got lucky. it made about 95% of it go away but slowly comes back over about an hour of run time, so that confirms it's something mechanical.

i know this doesn't help your problem but thought someone might be able to help us both out.

DrThunder, I think you may have helped confirmed my issue. I was starting to wonder if it was the alternator because:

a)yes, it does increase w/rpm's, and

B) my volt meter, while it has never pushed anywhere near 14 in the 3+ months i've owned the truck, has lately been on the lower half between 9 and 14 volts.

But, all lights and electronics seem to be burning ok. Any other input on this? Thanks.......Greg

does it get higher with higher rev. this happened to me and i found that i spent the bearing on my alternator going through a mud puddle

x2

a whirring/whining noise is a telltale sign if its coming from the alt i'd guess you have 2weeks to a month before replcaement time.

mine got to the point it would start whining (intermittent problem in my case) then the volts would cut out and it quit workin for a few minutes at a time eventually she went out and didn't come back for about 15 minutes so i replaced it

oh and the bro's XJ did the same exact whirring noise cause as soon as he heard mine he told me i had 3weeks and sure enough! :redX: 3 weeks later

Thanks for the input. I think mine is bearing related since it sounds more like metal on metal than just a simple whirring or whining. And it's loud enough that it is hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. I'll report back after I locate the problem, hopefully in the next week or so. It's not my DD so not a huge priority.