Advance Adapters ax15 transmission and external slave kit. Link to YouTube video

You were not kidding about the low quality of the throughout bearing.  The one I got with the kit is 0.066 inches eccentric.  That would make a racket and probably wear out the clutch springs due to the wobble.  20230607_203706.JPG.3fed9ac78cf7d608f7e35053f98a2afb.JPG

I shall be purchasing a higher quality one.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:39 PM, pizzaman09 said:

You were not kidding about the low quality of the throughout bearing.  The one I got with the kit is 0.066 inches eccentric.  That would make a racket and probably wear out the clutch springs due to the wobble.  20230607_203706.JPG.3fed9ac78cf7d608f7e35053f98a2afb.JPG

I shall be purchasing a higher quality one.

So, I ordered a National bearing throw out bearing, and it looked just like the one above.  So after some research, apparently this is what it's supposed to look like, it actually is spherically mounted and will center itself once it engages with the clutch.  

In any case, I'm happy to have a national brand bearing and will utilize it.

• 10 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, Htchevyii said:

Update, the new parts are all installed and working well. I'll post a link to the YouTube video that I made that covers the external slave swap using the Advance Adapters kit and their new AX15 as well as the transfer case refresh.

Hi guys, on our last trip the LUK internal slave cylinder completely gave out with just 15000 miles in it. We drove almost 500 miles home with no clutch. This prompted a conversion to the external slave setup. I decided to just buy the brand new AX15 that Advance sells at the same time, since my current trans has close to 300k on it. Here's a few things I learned that might help someone.

-The kit comes with almost everything you need, but no front input seal 

-The instructions suck, all I ask is for one decent photo or illustration of the clutch fork setup.

- I didn't trust the included non branded throw out bearing, so I purchased a National. It looks of higher quality and seemed to spin smoother.

-I redrilled the rear housing to the XJ,MJ pattern. Someone posted a file for a 3D printed drill guide and I had my friend make me one. It worked awesome. I can't remember where I got the file from now. I believe the OE holes are 11MM. I used the next size smaller standard bit and it still slid right together.

-AA says to use only a particular Mopar 10w30 or Redline MTL. My dealer didn't have the 10W30, so I ordered Redline from Summit Racing. Actually, I ordered the transmission and slave kit from Summit as well.

-I'm assuming that I voided the warranty by drilling the new holes. Novak will send you one pre drilled, but it was a few hundred bucks more. There are also clocking rings available.

- I found people (Motor trend) didn't receive or lost the fork retainer clip on the pivot and had to pull the trans. 

- I am still trying to figure out if it matters which direction the clutch fork is mounted? You can't tell in their picture and their tech section on their website is down. Conflicting info everywhere. I did find a diagram on Repair link, do I am going with that unless someone knows better and soon . 

PXL_20221111_221306327.MP.jpg

PXL_20221111_221212669.MP.jpg

PXL_20221111_221131182.jpg

PXL_20221111_221023505.MP.jpg

PXL_20221111_220512094.jpg

PXL_20221111_214533407.jpg

Here is a link to the drill jig file if you have or know someone who can print it for you.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5665772

Hi, nice write up.  I'm looking at this job myself now.  I'm sourcing all of the parts individually.  Was the braided line that comes with the kit the 42" version and was it a good fit?  I haven't pulled the trigger on most of the parts just yet.  I have sourced a 48" line, haven't found a 42" one yet.  If the 42" was pretty optimal I will keep looking.  Ride height is stock.  Thanks.  I enjoy your travel videos also.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Hi, I'm working on my parts list for the conversion to external slave.  Is this the slave you were mentioning? 

https://quickdrawbrand.com/slave-cylinder---.75-bore-external-w/-3an-fitting/#product-reviews

Also, I'm thinking about a disc/pressure plate upgrade.  Do you think it's worth the extra expense or is a Luk plenty adequate?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIUU5A/?coliid=I2G41DNIO024ZW&colid=3H4LKU0FVHV2X&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks, I always appreciate your knowledge about most everything you comment on.

1 hour ago, rokinn said:

Hi, I'm working on my parts list for the conversion to external slave.  Is this the slave you were mentioning? 

https://quickdrawbrand.com/slave-cylinder---.75-bore-external-w/-3an-fitting/#product-reviews

Also, I'm thinking about a disc/pressure plate upgrade.  Do you think it's worth the extra expense or is a Luk plenty adequate?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIUU5A/?coliid=I2G41DNIO024ZW&colid=3H4LKU0FVHV2X&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks, I always appreciate your knowledge about most everything you comment on.

Yep that’s the one. For the most part, the luk rep-set is a good option. Not too grabby either

2 hours ago, rokinn said:

Hi, nice write up.  I'm looking at this job myself now.  I'm sourcing all of the parts individually.  Was the braided line that comes with the kit the 42" version and was it a good fit?  I haven't pulled the trigger on most of the parts just yet.  I have sourced a 48" line, haven't found a 42" one yet.  If the 42" was pretty optimal I will keep looking.  Ride height is stock.  Thanks.  I enjoy your travel videos also.

The included line was plenty long. Good luck with your swap!