WTB short bed topper.

suds1485

17 hours ago, suds1485 said:

I’m looking for a short bed topper I really like the leer one, but am really looking for any mj specific one. I’m in NY and am willing to travel. Thanks in advance. 

this one is in VA:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/111780159177030/posts/1699963330358697/?__cft__[0]=AZWeuJHl8h7sIgx6nbg_Py9vcrzxWSN99wF-Nd2agscgLdxift_HMonR_yf79DXKiCmSh0bWJ5k4RFVzZFYulMGhgGNbEOlx0HzvtIEqKHYMAK6p-8UipKrfjGHDTPHlfbIPb18vwUa7MrjZTV7WQ01FJ0cwRQi4IYz-EK-zDWGwn7Pdkdn4Rfka_lmTmyBtEDM&__tn__=R]-R

297185313_143985738268789_5299119038770640257_n.jpg

If you are thinking about hiring a shipper for that Topper...

I just went thru this - and decided hiring a commercial shipper would save me 2 days of time, 800 miles of round trip travel, $400 in fuel costs, $100 to rent a trailer (the GEM Topper is 61.5" width, and my trailer is 60"), and one night in a hotel.  Call it $600 in direct cost,  and two days of my time.

AA shipping (they are a nationwide "broker") quoted me $600 for an enclosed transport.  They quoted me $400 just strapped onto a trailer... but if you have seen commercial shippers work, they are... not the most considerate to the items they are shipping.  Their go-to answer is always "strap 'er down a little tighter"; not the best outcome for a fiberglass/aluminum/glass relatively fragile, awkward shape.  Sent them a 50% deposit, and waited.

Summarizing:

After a week, I had to call them: "Can we send just strapped to a trailer". No.

Another few days: "We will call the seller soon." OK, when? No answer.

Another few days: "I am going on vacation, another guy will be contacting you soon." OK, when? No answer.

Another week: "Found a driver, but he can only take it to Phoenix (about 300 miles of our 400 mile one-way agreement), for the same price.  Is that OK?  If not, we will have to cancel.".  Seriously??? Fine; lets just get this over with.

Cost me an additional $400 to rent a U-Haul enclosed truck (decided not to put the miles on my Jeep Liberty tow vehicle), 360 miles of seat time, and $270 in gas, plus a full day of my time. :mad:

From what the driver said, the "Brokers" make the deal with you, then they try and find an actual driver. The Broker charges half, and the driver gets half for actually doing the work.

My recommendation is to do it yourself... no matter what the initial cost/benefit looks like. 

13 minutes ago, pago cruiser said:

I just went thru this - and decided hiring a commercial shipper would save me 2 days of time, 800 miles of round trip travel, $400 in fuel costs, $100 to rent a trailer (the GEM Topper is 61.5" width, and my trailer is 60"), and one night in a hotel.  Call it $600 in direct cost,  and two days of my time.

AA shipping (they are a nationwide "broker") quoted me $600 for an enclosed transport.  They quoted me $400 just strapped onto a trailer... but if you have seen commercial shippers work, they are... not the most considerate to the items they are shipping.  Their go-to answer is always "strap 'er down a little tighter"; not the best outcome for a fiberglass/aluminum/glass relatively fragile, awkward shape.  Sent them a 50% deposit, and waited.

Summarizing:

After a week, I had to call them: "Can we send just strapped to a trailer". No.

Another few days: "We will call the seller soon." OK, when? No answer.

Another few days: "I am going on vacation, another guy will be contacting you soon." OK, when? No answer.

Another week: "Found a driver, but he can only take it to Phoenix (about 300 miles of our 400 mile one-way agreement), for the same price.  Is that OK?  If not, we will have to cancel.".  Seriously??? Fine; lets just get this over with.

Cost me an additional $400 to rent a U-Haul enclosed truck (decided not to put the miles on my Jeep Liberty tow vehicle), 360 miles of seat time, and $270 in gas, plus a full day of my time. :mad:

From what the driver said, the "Brokers" make the deal with you, then they try and find an actual driver. The Broker charges half, and the driver gets half for actually doing the work.

My recommendation is to do it yourself... no matter what the initial cost/benefit looks like. 

If I do it,(all depends on if he answers) I’ll take the Comanche to get it. It’s 1100 miles round trip, 20 hours of driving. I can get it and at least halfway back in one day. I’ll sleep in the truck if I have to, that doesn’t bother me so I’ll save there. I have a tonneau now so I’m fairly certain I can clamp it down with the clamps from that and I’ll just throw all that in the bed for the ride home. I’m getting excited just thinking about it. 

5 hours ago, suds1485 said:

I’m almost positive I’m gonna make the trip, hopefully he answers me. 

5 hours ago, pago cruiser said:

Well guys, thanks for all your input. I’m going to get it on Friday! I so stoked I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  

1 hour ago, pago cruiser said:

Cool!

Suggest to bring some 1x1 lumber stock - maybe 18" length - with the C-Clamps. Helps spread the load applied to the Topper base. 

Thank you, I appreciate the advise. I’m going to be renting a “full sized” pick up from enterprise and drive that down. It will be much more comfortable then taking the Comanche, safer then strapping it on the roof rack of my car. The description says f150 or equivalent. So I’m not sure if I want to try to mount the cap to the bed (not sure if it will even work I would have to look at the bed deminsions)or use two maybe three 2x4 across the bed and strap it down. I guess I should prepare for both options. This way I won’t have any issues and can get it back safely. 

always go prepared. :D  

also I usually google the destination and then find the nearest hardware store so I know I can grab something if needed. 

also, also, you can't own too many ratchet straps.  :laugh:

11 hours ago, suds1485 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the advise. I’m going to be renting a “full sized” pick up from enterprise and drive that down. It will be much more comfortable then taking the Comanche, safer then strapping it on the roof rack of my car. The description says f150 or equivalent. So I’m not sure if I want to try to mount the cap to the bed (not sure if it will even work I would have to look at the bed deminsions)or use two maybe three 2x4 across the bed and strap it down. I guess I should prepare for both options. This way I won’t have any issues and can get it back safely. 

How does the Enterprise rate compare to uHaul for an F-150?

Uhaul does a special rate when you bundle with a trailer.  F-150 + 6×12 low profile enclosed trailer would be a nice combo.  I Bet it would be under $500 for a 2 day long haul.

34 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

How does the Enterprise rate compare to uHaul for an F-150?

Uhaul does a special rate when you bundle with a trailer.  F-150 + 6×12 low profile enclosed trailer would be a nice combo.  I Bet it would be under $500 for a 2 day long haul.

341 unlimited mileage. Last time I did Uhaul I got banged hard for mileage. I won’t go that route again lol. Based on the interwebs. The Comanche topper should fit inside the bed on top of the wheel hump. So I may just make something so it can sit firm and level above the humps and if I have to keep the gate down no big deal. 

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

also I usually google the destination and then find the nearest hardware store so I know I can grab something if needed. 

I didn’t even think of that, excellent idea. As far as ratchet straps one of the thoughts would’ve required 4 so I was thinking 6 at minimum haha. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, pago cruiser said:

Cool!

Suggest to bring some 1x1 lumber stock - maybe 18" length - with the C-Clamps. Helps spread the load applied to the Topper base. 

On 8/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Pete M said:

Wel guys, 20 hour round trip. It’s finally home. It’s not actually mounted just sitting up there. 

C7BBF96B-56C2-4F35-A446-A1FBE0E642FB.jpeg