Rear Window Removal

I'm looking to remove my rear slide window. There is a good write up on here in how to do it. However I'm debating on doing it myself or bringing it to a professional. My concern is accidentally hitting the glass when I go to cut it out and breaking the window. I'm wondering once I get the rubber trim worked out will I be cutting around a metal frame that holds the glass or is the glass itself glued to the truck? 

the glass sits in the window frame, the frame is glued to the truck.  the rubber trim needs to be removed first. and the interior trim pieces like the B-pillar panels can get damaged accidentally if you don't pull them first.  it's all pretty easy for a pro.  kinda a pain in the butt for us normal people.  plus the consequences of screwing it up are kinda expensive. :(

do you have the removal tool?  (essentially piano wire with handles)

I’ve removed 3 so far. I’d recommend taking it to a pro if you plan on reusing the window. It’s easy enough to cut through the urethane but the frame itself is a pinch seam for several panels and has many catch points for the wire to get stuck. 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

the glass sits in the window frame, the frame is glued to the truck.  the rubber trim needs to be removed first. and the interior trim pieces like the B-pillar panels can get damaged accidentally if you don't pull them first.  it's all pretty easy for a pro.  kinda a pain in the butt for us normal people.  plus the consequences of screwing it up are kinda expensive. :(

do you have the removal tool?  (essentially piano wire with handles)

Yeah I have replaced a few windshield in jeeps before. From experience hitting the glass with the wire isn't good 😂. If there's a steel frame around it it's something I think I'll be able to do. 

1 hour ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

My advice is remove b pillar and lower back window trim. Remove the back exterior trim molding around the window. Some lodge in there like a deer tick making it a pia and others flop out and spread like warm butter. Much of it seems to do with whoever got sloppy with sealant on the last window replacement. The factory original install aren't usually near as bad as if it hadn't been redone. I've learned patience with a couple of the right flat head screwdrivers usually starting in the top middle of the outer trim molding is all that's required. If it was replaced however you can usually kiss that molding goodbye since the sloppy sealant from last guy is stuck all over it. It will tear to shreds most likely. The colder the day the better for cutting on the inside out of the truck for the sealant itself. I make quick work of them with snow on the ground here in Indiana with a simple good razor knife and lots of elbow. Get top cut first and then the sides if it's one piece glass with no helper. You'll be able to hold the top and not accidentally drop it as your finishing up the middle bottom last. I'm sure there are guys that have pulled more but I've done somewhere around a couple dozen now. Saving the outer trim is the hard part. Here they seem dry rotted and shot anyhow if not glued to the glass from a shotty job. When they do a bad job it will be all over the interior trim and even headliner. I've had to do 4 or 5 like that now. Be real careful with the headliner area along top of window because it's easy to damage with the knife. Even more so if the window has extra sealant overflow stuck to headliner. It will cause the blade to wonder and possibly slice the headliner. I will always carefully remove the headliner before starting if it's salvageable regardless too.

Yeah it's never been out before. I need to pull it because it's leaking and I'm starting to get rust bubbles around the seal. The gasket is still rubbery and not dried out so I'm hoping it goes easy.