What brand 02 sensor to buy?

5 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

First off, that light is triggered by a timer. It has no clue about anything else.

since you have an 88, I would suggest going to www.cruiser54.com and COMPLETING Tips 1 through 5 before buying any parts at all. 

I plan to follow those tips but I was just curious as to what I should buy when I finally get to that point, as I don't think the sensor was ever replaced.

I've had good luck with Bosch sensors (the old style with the white/ceramic body) you can still find them on Ebay, part number 12009. If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest making absolutely sure the circuit to and from the O2 heater circuit is in great condition including the O2 heater relay. I had an issue with the wiring on mine that was driving me crazy, I even added a "backup" ground similar to cruisers fuel pump "backup" ground setup and the issues were solved, the O2 sensor plays a HUGE role in the way these 4.0's run and idle.

57 minutes ago, big66440 said:

I've had good luck with Bosch sensors (the old style with the white/ceramic body) you can still find them on Ebay, part number 12009. If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest making absolutely sure the circuit to and from the O2 heater circuit is in great condition including the O2 heater relay. I had an issue with the wiring on mine that was driving me crazy, I even added a "backup" ground similar to cruisers fuel pump "backup" ground setup and the issues were solved, the O2 sensor plays a HUGE role in the way these 4.0's run and idle.

I'll definitely keep that in mind among cruisers tips as well

49 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Do the Tips. You just may fix it in the process.

Aftermarket parts are hit and miss any more. NTK used to be the go-to brand, but I'm not sure that's still true.

Yeah, NTK uses a metal body now. Mine lasted less than a year. They're using a 4 wire sensor from another application that only kind of fits the specs, and splice 2 of the wires together to make it fit a Renix 3 wire. (I'm assuming this is the same thing Bosch did as a cost cutting maneuver) I bought a Crown from Quadratec and it looked identical to NTK.

Do Cruiser's tips first to make sure it is the o2 sensor, lots of things can contribute to poor mileage on a Renix.

The simplest route is to find one that still has a ceramic body. Lots of websites show a ceramic body in the pictures, but if you order it, a metal sensor shows up. Renix sensors use an older style o2 sensor element that is starting to disappear from the market.

I went a different route, but it requires one of Nick's Renix Engine Monitors. I use an AEM wideband AFR gauge, and send the 0-5V output on that to the REM to convert to a narrow band signal, then send that back into the ECU. I've been driving it since April and it's been doing great. If you already have a REM it costs about $200. Nick has been out of stock for a while now because of the chip shortage, but the REM is becoming a must have for a Renix.

I made a write up to make it easy to wire/set everything up correctly.

https://comancheclub.com/topic/68935-ditching-the-narrowband-o2-for-a-wideband-with-the-rem/