How is my MJ lifted? How do I choose shocks?

The previous owner lifted my MJ by about 2 inches I assume.  Was this accomplished by taller coil springs in the front and the shackle(?) in the rear?  Or would the leaf springs have been replaced? 

I am curious when the time comes, with this lift, how do I choose new shocks?  The front shocks are some kind of Ranchos.  

Thank you!

image.jpeg.c98720303ce790ec5a37f0b3b1840c09.jpeg image.jpeg.ab26e5b88f5709c4a83a92acd101a85a.jpeg

front-gap.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

For the front suspension, its the same as an XJ. I run KYB Monomax for a YJ. Thats for a 2" lift. A bit stiff of a shock though. A bit less $$ and stiffness (not much) than Bilstein 5100s. 

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

For the front suspension, its the same as an XJ. I run KYB Monomax for a YJ. Thats for a 2" lift. A bit stiff of a shock though. A bit less $$ and stiffness (not much) than Bilstein 5100s. 

Thanks!  Does the fact you run a YJ shock compensate for the 2" lift?  Or is there another reason you chose one for a YJ?  

38 minutes ago, 87MJJeep said:

Thanks!  Does the fact you run a YJ shock compensate for the 2" lift?  Or is there another reason you chose one for a YJ?  

Yes, the YJ shocks are basically 2" higher than a stock XJs. At least that's the specs I came up with. I really wanted to try the KYB Monomax shocks. They do seem good. Still, a bit stiff. I did get some white box stocks from IRO for $15 for the rear. I recently changed them to Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I kept them at the middle adjustment. Made the total suspension a bit stiffer. The rear does not bobble as much as before. 

Everyone has what they want for a suspension as far as firmness etc. Shocks are a part of that.   For MJ rear shocks someone else will have to steep in. Also, I'd include what your plans for your MJ is. Type of use and driving. Keep at 2" or go higher? Also, I wonder about your rear spring, and the rear shackle. I think you might have a higher lift spring back there. Then they used basically an XJ shackle to de lift 1".  Measure between the two bolts of the rear shackle. 

There is a way to measure your exact ride height in the diy section as well. With that info you could order up a generic shock meant for 2” lift or you could always go with a custom length that isn’t application specific. If your open to spending the money on a set of good shocks, checkout Accutune off-road. They will valve and tune an “off the shelf” shock to your rig. They have the specs on Comanches as well. 

I'll try and give a review of the shocks I've used and have not used. 

First, it does look like you have Ranchos. There are different levels of Ranchos. Most common is the RS200. A bit firmer than stock, but not much. I did have a set on my XJ. OK, still a bit soft for me. They don't get good ratings in the Jeep XJ/MJ crowd. There are the RS500 and RS700. Some really like them. I haven't tried them. I did replace some overstock white shocks I bought from IRO. I think they were basically, RS 200, with the Rancho RS900. These are adjustable shocks. About $125 each. In the mid setting, they firmed up the back. Sort of matches the KYB Monomax I have up front.

OK, KYB. I have used the silver ones on an XJ. The G3's on a Neon, and the Monomax on one of my XJs. The silver ones are made in Japan. I had some Jeep rears from either a wrangler or WJ in the rear of that XJ. It handled good.  A bit firmer than stock. Good DD handling. Not a fair comparison for the G3s. Still, on the Neon it handled well. I'd say about the same as the silvers, maybe a bit better. Internet reviews are a bit mixed. Mainly, durability issues. Monomax are stiff. A bit less than the venerable Bilstein 5100's.  

Bilstein 5100s, I have on another XJ with 4.5" lift. Very frim to stiff. Offroaders like them. I won't say bone jarring on my lift. Also, my lift is with older Rough Country rear springs and Pro Comp fronts. So, maybe a lower to mid quality lift. One that get good reviews are the Bilstein 4300s. I have not used them. Bilsteins are rated as very high quality shocks. I think some of the after market shocks are Bilsteins. Possibly Rubicon Express and Rough Country.

In the realm of shocks I haven't tried  but think would be a good choice are Old Man Emu and Doesch-Tech. Also, I did consider Fox for the rear of my XJ. It came down to cost. I got a set of RS900 for $90 each, new vs $180 each for a Fox. Then there is King shocks, I think $600 and up each. 

Also, some like the Monroes for a DD. I have no experience with them. A neighbor used them or one of the stock brands for a steering stabilizer on a ZJ with 35's. Seemed to work for him.

As for steering stabilizers, I presently have a OME on the front of one of my XJs with 32's. I use the WJ stabilizer. I have used the Tenneco one from IRO. It seems to have survived a serious long term bout with Death Wobble. I think I'll put it back on that XJ, and put the OME on my 2". 

OME, Old Man Emu are another shock that gets good reviews. I think the older ones got VG reviews. I do have a set of rears of the newer ones. But not installed. 

Also, another option is to install Bar Pin eliminators. On the rear I installed the bracket king on my "2 XJ. This is rather than the pin type JKS type. I did this as I had to drill out the threads back there. So, it is easier to fix the bracket in place and take just one bolt off to replace shocks. They also make them for the front. If you do top and bottom on the from, you'd be at stock shock height (theoretically) and use basically, the rear type of shock. 

Also, as I've mentioned adjustable shocks, my intent is to use them to firm up the rear for towing. Might think about it, if you plan to haul loads. 

14 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

There is a way to measure your exact ride height in the diy section as well. With that info you could order up a generic shock meant for 2” lift or you could always go with a custom length that isn’t application specific. If your open to spending the money on a set of good shocks, checkout Accutune off-road. They will valve and tune an “off the shelf” shock to your rig. They have the specs on Comanches as well. 

Thank you for pointing me to that.  I will look for that and study it asap.  

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I'll try and give a review of the shocks I've used and have not used. 

First, it does look like you have Ranchos. There are different levels of Ranchos. Most common is the RS200. A bit firmer than stock, but not much. I did have a set on my XJ. OK, still a bit soft for me. They don't get good ratings in the Jeep XJ/MJ crowd. There are the RS500 and RS700. Some really like them. I haven't tried them. I did replace some overstock white shocks I bought from IRO. I think they were basically, RS 200, with the Rancho RS900. These are adjustable shocks. About $125 each. In the mid setting, they firmed up the back. Sort of matches the KYB Monomax I have up front.

OK, KYB. I have used the silver ones on an XJ. The G3's on a Neon, and the Monomax on one of my XJs. The silver ones are made in Japan. I had some Jeep rears from either a wrangler or WJ in the rear of that XJ. It handled good.  A bit firmer than stock. Good DD handling. Not a fair comparison for the G3s. Still, on the Neon it handled well. I'd say about the same as the silvers, maybe a bit better. Internet reviews are a bit mixed. Mainly, durability issues. Monomax are stiff. A bit less than the venerable Bilstein 5100's.  

Bilstein 5100s, I have on another XJ with 4.5" lift. Very frim to stiff. Offroaders like them. I won't say bone jarring on my lift. Also, my lift is with older Rough Country rear springs and Pro Comp fronts. So, maybe a lower to mid quality lift. One that get good reviews are the Bilstein 4300s. I have not used them. Bilsteins are rated as very high quality shocks. I think some of the after market shocks are Bilsteins. Possibly Rubicon Express and Rough Country.

In the realm of shocks I haven't tried  but think would be a good choice are Old Man Emu and Doesch-Tech. Also, I did consider Fox for the rear of my XJ. It came down to cost. I got a set of RS900 for $90 each, new vs $180 each for a Fox. Then there is King shocks, I think $600 and up each. 

Also, some like the Monroes for a DD. I have no experience with them. A neighbor used them or one of the stock brands for a steering stabilizer on a ZJ with 35's. Seemed to work for him.

As for steering stabilizers, I presently have a OME on the front of one of my XJs with 32's. I use the WJ stabilizer. I have used the Tenneco one from IRO. It seems to have survived a serious long term bout with Death Wobble. I think I'll put it back on that XJ, and put the OME on my 2". 

OME, Old Man Emu are another shock that gets good reviews. I think the older ones got VG reviews. I do have a set of rears of the newer ones. But not installed. 

Also, another option is to install Bar Pin eliminators. On the rear I installed the bracket king on my "2 XJ. This is rather than the pin type JKS type. I did this as I had to drill out the threads back there. So, it is easier to fix the bracket in place and take just one bolt off to replace shocks. They also make them for the front. If you do top and bottom on the from, you'd be at stock shock height (theoretically) and use basically, the rear type of shock. 

Also, as I've mentioned adjustable shocks, my intent is to use them to firm up the rear for towing. Might think about it, if you plan to haul loads. 

Wow.  You're the Shock Man!  Thank you for the detailed summary.  That gives me a lot to chew on!  

(This is so refreshing vs. Facebook.  I love forums!  FB is for Liking, and Forums are for thinking and learning.)

I know there are better at evaluating shocks. Still, those are my views and experiences.  I consider them limited. I will say a 2" lift is real nice for a DD. My XJ with 2" handles very well. I am with OTK trackbar and crossover or OTK steering. A bit of $$, though.  Still, things to try. Some of Xjs and MJs is to take info and see what makes the most sense of what you want. I get some 'people don't do it that way', especially on my 2" lift. Its what I want though. Also, at times its try something that doesn't cost a bunch of $$. Then add those $$ later. Yeah, lose some $$ along the way. My next build, a front and rear long arm, I might go cheap in the initial shocks. Then Kings or Fox latter. 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:26 PM, 75sv1 said:

I know there are better at evaluating shocks. Still, those are my views and experiences.  I consider them limited. I will say a 2" lift is real nice for a DD. My XJ with 2" handles very well. I am with OTK trackbar and crossover or OTK steering. A bit of $$, though.  Still, things to try. Some of Xjs and MJs is to take info and see what makes the most sense of what you want. I get some 'people don't do it that way', especially on my 2" lift. Its what I want though. Also, at times its try something that doesn't cost a bunch of $$. Then add those $$ later. Yeah, lose some $$ along the way. My next build, a front and rear long arm, I might go cheap in the initial shocks. Then Kings or Fox latter. 

Gotcha.  With my trackbar replaced and swaybar/link bushings replaced, the road manners are pretty nice.  I probably am OK with the shocks I have.  I'll keep gauging the ride feel though.  The fronts are Rancho RS5000s, and the rears are Ranchos, but the # is not visible.  

On 5/21/2022 at 4:50 AM, Eagle said:

How to measure ride height (and lift):

Thank you for the thread link!

Sounds good. I would get the steel steering box spacer. Check yours first. Maybe its already replaced. Then a steering box brace. I'd probably stick with that and maybe the ZJ steering upgrade. If it feels safe and firm, then I'd run with it. Also, the gear box can be loose. The Parts store boxes usually don't last long. So, I'd probably look at Red Top or Blue Top for a rebuild. Also, the steering shaft can get worn. Just thing to check on. On my 2000 XJ, I was going to replace the gear box. But the steering is firm. So, don't fix what's not broke. Mines way over built for a 2" lift. 

5 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

Sounds good. I would get the steel steering box spacer. Check yours first. Maybe its already replaced. Then a steering box brace. I'd probably stick with that and maybe the ZJ steering upgrade. If it feels safe and firm, then I'd run with it. Also, the gear box can be loose. The Parts store boxes usually don't last long. So, I'd probably look at Red Top or Blue Top for a rebuild. Also, the steering shaft can get worn. Just thing to check on. On my 2000 XJ, I was going to replace the gear box. But the steering is firm. So, don't fix what's not broke. Mines way over built for a 2" lift. 

Thank you for the additional steering advice!