2WD WJ knuckle swap for MJ?

Hello, I’ve been searching around the forum and haven’t found anything on this topic.
   Would it be worth the time and money to do a 2WD WJ knuckle swap on a 2WD ‘91 MJ? I have already done a D30 4WD WJ knuckle swap on one of my other Comanches and love the steering upgrade and better front brakes. I have access right now to a free 2WD WJ front axle. Is this an upgrade with the 2WDs as well? I also have access to the 2WD WJ transmission as well. (42RE) Would it be worth grabbing as a spare or upgrade? Would it work with the 1991 4.0? What else could I salvage for the MJ from this WJ I have access to? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:13 PM, WranglerMangler said:

Hello, I’ve been searching around the forum and haven’t found anything on this topic.
   Would it be worth the time and money to do a 2WD WJ knuckle swap on a 2WD ‘91 MJ? I have already done a D30 4WD WJ knuckle swap on one of my other Comanches and love the steering upgrade and better front brakes. I have access right now to a free 2WD WJ front axle. Is this an upgrade with the 2WDs as well? I also have access to the 2WD WJ transmission as well. (42RE) Would it be worth grabbing as a spare or upgrade? Would it work with the 1991 4.0? What else could I salvage for the MJ from this WJ I have access to? 

What year is the WJ? The only upgrade are with the akebono on 02-04 IIRC. I would find early D30 knuckles to get better brakes if that's what you want to do. But honestly I'd just do the booester upgrade and get some decent brake pads. The 42re is junk. Nothing else is worth getting. 

How early of D30 Knuckles? I have the stock D30 knuckles off my 88 that I did the 4wd WJ knuckle swap on. Would I need to convert to 4wd front unit bearings (running stub shafts) and brake rotors for the 2wd truck? Different ball joints? Does a bigger or better caliper fit the earlier knuckles? What booster do you suggest? Believe the WJ is an ‘04 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, WranglerMangler said:

I did this to my Comanche and yes I do recommend it, I have a 96 XJ dual diaphragm booster, steel braided brake lines, and WJ ( Akebono calipers) up front and my Comanche stops better than some of the newer cars I've driven