caster how much?

after doing a 5 inch lift on my mj i am getting some bad wobble. trackbar is nice and tight so i measured my caster and it is at 0 degrees. Where should it be at? would that cause me issues? I have 2wd at the moment. still saving money for my 4wd swap... takin to long...

anyone any other sugestions????

that is measuring off the top of the ball joint.

just SOA'd the MJ with 1" longer fixed LCA's but stock UCA's (about 5.5-6" lift total) and have 10 degrees neg caster :oops: No vibes, and good return to center, but had to pull the front DS because of the bad pinion angle. Got a new set of RE adjustable UCA's going in next weekend to fix it all, and am shooting for 5-7 degrees when I do.

Jeff

right on. I pulled just one shim and it seems to be doing soooo much better. got close to 4 now. Prolly pull the other one this weekend and see what i get. I also pulled the steering stbalizer seeing how it needed replaced also.

handled great without it though compared to earlier today.

I adjusted mine with adjustable upper arms.

I would get the upper arms but i want to save that money for a long arm. jamminz.gif

Wise choice.

I purchased my 6.5" springs, adjustable UCAs/LCAs and an adjustable tracbar for $240 from a local club member jamminz.gif .

Other wise I would have long arms :D

There are shims that go into the LCA mounts on the axles. At least I think thats where they go. Anyways...those control caster.

you can adjust caster with adj lower control arms as well, right? i didnt know there were shims in there.

sorry for high jacking the thread :oops:

Twisty.......you suck....... :D

I just dropped 2 bills on RE adjustable uppers!

Jeff

You will be glad you did! I recently "alligned" my MJ, and tightened up loose bolts (I found 1 LCA bolt and 1 UCA bolt loose). The steering has NEVER been so perfect!

There are shims that go into the LCA mounts on the axles. At least I think thats where they go. Anyways...those control caster.

you can adjust caster with adj lower control arms as well, right? i didnt know there were shims in there.

sorry for high jacking the thread :oops:

you didn't hijack anything..

caster is the subject and so far it hasnb't left the topic.. and i have the answer anyways so hijack away!

here's a somewhat helpful quote...

If you don't have adjustable control arms, caster can be changed by using a shim behind the pocket for the lower control arm. The heavy-gauge metal of the Drop Bracket (and the stock LCA pocket) is slotted, while there is a metal 'C' that wraps around the control arm bushing. On the back of that 'C' are two studs that poke through the back of the LCA pocket. By inserting the shim between the 'C' and the back of the pocket, the control arm is moved forward, tilting the pinion down slightly more.

caster_adjust.jpg

here's the link...little more then half way down.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

I installed brandy new brackets in the DB's when I did them. All my adjustment is from the JKS and RE adjustable CA's.

CW

right on. I pulled just one shim and it seems to be doing soooo much better. got close to 4 now. Prolly pull the other one this weekend and see what i get. I also pulled the steering stbalizer seeing how it needed replaced also.

handled great without it though compared to earlier today.

You should have added a shim or two not pulled one. You reduced your caster... :nuts:

You need positive caster.... :roll:

it looks like you guys are checking caster without the coil spring in. is that correct. and if so where do you put the degree finder if the coils are installed?

If all the CAs are bolted up, then you can check it without the spring in place, because the spring just sits between the frame and axle. The axle will not move when the spring is installed.

If all the CAs are bolted up, then you can check it without the spring in place, because the spring just sits between the frame and axle. The axle will not move when the spring is installed.

if the spring is installed, where do you place the angle finder thing?

if the spring is installed, where do you place the angle finder thing?

Image Not Found

You can put it on top of the ball joint...like in that pic. Thanks to CW for the pic.