Customer service advice?

m2bandit

I have over 200 panels in the wild right now. I was messaged about a panel breaking. This would be the second one after almost a year. The first one the buyer admitted they tried to force it to bend wire connectors and snapped it.

This one however the buyer claims after 2 months it "was just like that" he discovered both mounts were snapped when he removed the dash bezel to repair his AC.

I find it pretty hard to believe he didn't notice it flopping around with no mounts and he probably broke it by pulling on it when he removed the bezel.

Also the mounts were sheered horizontally but the forces it sees during use are vertical or against the face.

So I have two options.

I can replace it outside of the return window, or tell him how to repair it.

I usually would lean towards replacing things people break.

I'm curious what others think. I doubt this will be my last time running into this kind of situation.

Did they send pictures of the break? I’d be inclined to think overtorquing fasteners is the most common form of break. Half of the interior plastics I’ve dealt with broken off tabs and most of them sit more or less okay in their spot. 
I think some of the larger online retailers have negatively impacted the market with expectations of getting a refund or sending a new one without good cause. I’m also not of a mind the customer is always right, and will fully admit to it as a customer. I’d say case by case is probably the best if you can manage that. 
If you are noticing more and very specific failures, it might be an indication the design needs some reworking.

He did send pictures, the break doesn't look like something that would happen under usual conditions installing or during usage.

Thank you for your insight.

I sent him instructions on fixing it. ABS plastic responds well to repairing with acetone so if he does it right it'll be good as new.

19 hours ago, m2bandit said:

He did send pictures, the break doesn't look like something that would happen under usual conditions installing or during usage.

Thank you for your insight.

I sent him instructions on fixing it. ABS plastic responds well to repairing with acetone so if he does it right it'll be good as new.

I think you made the right call since the part was outside of the return window. Personally, I would be thrilled if a manufacture provided a helpful method of repair (especially if I broke the part). 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, gogmorgo said:

I think some of the larger online retailers have negatively impacted the market with expectations of getting a refund or sending a new one without good cause. I’m also not of a mind the customer is always right, and will fully admit to it as a customer.

For the most part my customers are really friendly, and I've had some great conversations and friendly feedback.
I think you may have cursed me though. This person ordered on Friday and messaged me Sunday. Amazon has definitely created expectations that small businesses can't reasonably accommodate.

businessday.png.ccdd3e31b71a3f73670d5abd2a3ca7ef.png

On 4/22/2022 at 12:03 PM, 87Warrior said:

I think you made the right call since the part was outside of the return window. Personally, I would be thrilled if a manufacture provided a helpful method of repair (especially if I broke the part). 

Thank you, I thought about having a separate manufacturer defect policy but I think it's best to just leave it with a regular return policy posted and keep mfr defect internal to prevent complaints.