Hitch type, or even worth it

rejeep

my 86 2.5L.. can I tow with this?

If i put a class three hitch (what kind) and would I be able to tow a car dolly? I'm not worried about going fast since the dolly is rated at 45 mph anyway.

And whats the ball on the bumper good for?

NO.. an XJ style hitch won't fit a MJ.

Before you go an Endanger your life and everyone elses on the road, you have to decide if your vehicle is up to towing a car. If yoiur brakes are in top shape, and so is your steering I don't see why you couldn't.

BUt I think with the anemic 2.5 you will have trouble. Just remember the money you save by having someone else tow your vehicle might be the cost of a new trans, clutch, or motor.

I towed a CJ7 home with my MJ once. It was a 25 mile tow. Halfway through, I stopped, and called AAA and had them come get it the rest of the way. It was way to unstable for me to chance my life doing it. BTW my MJ is a 4.0 with an auto.

Just my opinion

long bed or shortbed? Long bed is going to tow things better because of the wheelbase.

I had a Reese hitch on mine, before I cut it off. I think that drawtite also makes one, but it's for the longbed only. I think you're going to have trouble finding a hitch of any sort for the SWB.

Personally I'd not tow with a MJ/XJ. They just don't weigh enough. Sure, you could get away with one of those little trailers, or relativly light things. But anything heavy and the tail will wag the dog. Especially if you've got a shortbox.

That and MJ/XJ brakes aren't exactly great...