gotta do what u gotta do but never agin i hope.

Snowplow

Whell i had my fun today, I had to move my 86 MJ parts truck with my other 86 MJ. I normally use a pull strap and a friend, but it is snowing out and the parts truck has no power, no wipers etc. So i go and buy a tow bar, the idea is bolt it to the bumper and tow it. Diddent work that way, one i checked the bumper for sturdyness and in the process it fell off :mad: so now with the bumper on the ground how do i move it now??

So now i'm looking at that thin piece of metal between the frame rails :nuts: and yes i knew better but i went with it. so now i'm drilling holes and bolting it up but the tow bar was off center becouse of the steering box was in my way to get it center.

Now my delimma is a very weak hook point and a rear bumper thats in bad shape and the angle on the tow bar is all off and yes i rolled with it.

the good thing is it made it with no problems other then only being able to drive at 10 mph becouse the towed MJ was not correcting right and was pushing my rearend one way then the other wild ride jamminz.gif but thought i would share my story and i do not recomend or suggest any un-safe acts in towing or moving auto's if all possible do it safe and wait for the best weather possible and be safe. sorry i diddent take picks

That doesn't sound any worse the chain towing cars 15 miles to the junkyard with no brakes and a 30' chain.

When my buddy that did this with me asked what to do, I said "Follow me(not like he had a choice) and when we need to stop, I'll stop you after you hit me. Oh ya and put you seat belt on".

It was funny @$$ hell, I had a 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge with a 3/8"wall 10"x3" tube steel rear bumper. After a few trips we started to hit harder and just wipe out the front end of the car. Then there was the time someone pulled out right in front of me at about 45mph, that one buckled the hood and made it fly open. We never did hurt the Dodge... We still laugh about the stupid $#!& we did 20 years ago...

my tow bumper, built specifically for the purpose and bolts into all 6 stock locations (could extend it more for safety though...)

it's first use was on this

which was my bro's and my 86 2.8 beater offroad truck

n69205416_32603376_897.jpg

n69205416_32359825_2985.jpg

n69205416_32441862_6417.jpg

it's been used on about 4 comanche's that I've brought home to either resurrect or part out, plus a few cherokees in the mix...works great, and I wouldn't flat tow without something that's at least that strong.

There are pictures on the wall at Cap'n Crunch Autowrecking of me and my buddy playing freight train. I used my '69 F250 (without a motor) for him with a towbar on the back hooked to a '73 Buick Le Sabre (jumped timing chain) and a '66 Pontiac Parisienne was in front with a tow chain to another tow bar on the back of my '70 Datsun pickup (I had swapped the J13 motor for an Austin Marina 1.8L and auto)

It was a flat tow of 3 miles and 3 corners, but they couldn't believe we did that. (I had one of the former Matsqui Police follow us to ensure nothing fell off and no-one plowed into us) The Building department ordered me to have them all gone that day if I wanted to get my permits for my shop, so I did it!

That's also how I got my nickname of Junkyard Jim!