Cruise/Trans Switch

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2021 at 4:38 PM, cruiser54 said:

Brake light switch booster.jpg

Brake switch.jpg

Hi Cruiser54,

I'm finishing up my 96 booster swap and eliminating the terrible Bendix 9 ABS in my 89 XJ. My old brake lamp switch has 4 terminals, all of which have wires going to them. Clearly the wires are going to the same place, (terminals joined together on the switch), so I suppose I could splice those together. What is the function of the vacuum dump valve? There isn't a down side with eliminating it? Thanks for you help.

PXL_20230428_015324197.jpg

PXL_20230428_015318980.jpg

The vacuum dump valve dumps the vacuum from the cruise control servo.

It also signals the TCU that the brakes have been applied so the torque converter is unlocked. 

Wanna see a trick work around for brake and TCU interrupt switches? No screwing around with the booster rod and that funky old brake light switch. 

Brake light switch booster.jpg

I have that switch, but by us

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

The one I show above is a Cadillac switch which replaces the dump valve and the funky original brake switch that requires the customized end on the booster rod. 

Thanks Cruiser, I have the SL186 I'm just wondering how deleting the vacuum dump affects the cruise control? Maybe they also used the switch with the dump valve on non cruise trucks and that's why it can be deleted?