8.25 rear choices

BTW

Eagle Wrote from the 8.25...8.8 post

Dakotas don't use a 5 on 4-1/2" lug bolt battern, though. Not a good choice.

just another question what was on the 87 Dakota rear i should have taken a pic while i was at the bone yard to see if this would be a good swap it appears to be 5 lug bolt pattern. next tm i'll get the pic

I've heard that the really early dakotas have a 5 bolt pattern. You'll need to confirm that it's a 5 on 4.5" and that the width of the axle is comparable to an MJ, and that the gear ratio is usable, and that the axle is worth the effort (for example I'd never put that much effort swapping in a Dana 35).

just another question what was on the 87 Dakota rear i should have taken a pic while i was at the bone yard to see if this would be a good swap it appears to be 5 lug bolt pattern. next tm i'll get the pic

I guess I have heard that, but I never remember it because I know the newer ones have a 6-lug pattern.

IF the old ones have a 5x4-1/2" circle, and IF the exle is a usable width, then you would need to check the spline count and shaft diameter. Remember, the XJ 8.25 axles were 27-spline with the same shaft diameter as a Dana 35 up through 1996. I believe the beefier 29-spline version showed up in the 1997 XJs. The older ones are hardly worth the effort of welding on new spring perches. The housing and tubes are stronger than a Dana 35 but the shafts aren't, plus they are c-clip axles and the D35 through 1988-1/2 was not a c-clip.

I guess I have heard that, but I never remember it because I know the newer ones have a 6-lug pattern.

IF the old ones have a 5x4-1/2" circle, and IF the exle is a usable width, then you would need to check the spline count and shaft diameter. Remember, the XJ 8.25 axles were 27-spline with the same shaft diameter as a Dana 35 up through 1996. I believe the beefier 29-spline version showed up in the 1997 XJs. The older ones are hardly worth the effort of welding on new spring perches. The housing and tubes are stronger than a Dana 35 but the shafts aren't, plus they are c-clip axles and the D35 through 1988-1/2 was not a c-clip.

They are 5x4.5" bolt pattern from '87-'90, and are 27 spline. The 29 spline count started the same time XJ's started using them.

An 8.75" fullsize axle from late 60's to early 70's uses the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, have a removable carrier like a 9" Ford and I believe are stronger then D44's are.